Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Boulder - The Activities

When I polled my friends here on what they would do in Boulder (see post Would You Rather?) I had a basic plan of what I wanted to do in Boulder. I already had bought my tickets for the Bronco/Bears game and was thinking of booking a fly fishing day. I found out that two of my coworkers fly fish so I decided I would much rather go with someone I know instead of a stranger. Fly fishing went out the window... Since the voters were split down the middle on the drag show and pool...
Here is what actually happened on my big weekend away from reality:
I had decided to go to the Denver Temple a while ago. I had called to make reservations for baptisms because I have not done them is way too long. It was a beautiful temple with wonderful grounds. I will have pics of some flowers later.
I had bought tickets for the concert Friday night, however when I went to pick up the ticket I found that the concert was started way later than the website said. I decided that since I was parked in a rather less than wonderful part of town, I called it a night. Passed the Cheesecake Factory and grabbed a slice and went back my hotel room.
Saturday I slept in LATE!! After a breakfast at almost noon (see previous post about the Eggs Benedict!) I headed up Boulder Canyon. I wanted to see the Creek and relax. On the side of the road I saw a sign for horseback trail rides. I have never been on a horse in my memory, and since my mom cannot remember me being on one, I guess it was a first. Her name is Sue and she was very gentle. However, it will probably be the last time I am on a horse. The brusies I cannot show you because my mom raised me better... however it was tempting to take a photo!
After this I went down the Creek a little and waded in. It was just cold enough to be nice! I felt like I smelled bad, so I went back to the hotel, took a short shower, and got in the hot tub. I finished the book I was reading (The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes) and relaxed for the rest of the late afternoon. Then I got cleaned up for the fun activity of the night: The Drag Show!
Boulder County AIDS Project (BCAP) put on the 4th Annual Absolute! Fabulous! Gorgeous! and I had a ball! The host, pictured below, changed his outfit during each song performance. He was amazing!! Oh and his legs! Mary, what talent! He did a rendition of Dying Swan that almost made me pee my pants!! He was in full ballerina costume AND up on point! There were feathers tucked in tutu so every time he moved one or two would fall out (the dying swan.) It was an amazing show. All of the proceeds went to help programs to teach AIDS awareness and prevention. The party favors were condoms... oh bless their hearts! I had a ball!

Then I decided to go to the oposite end of the spectrum and went to the Bronco's/Bears game (Da Bears!!) Again, I had a ball! The fans were not fans of the Bears QB Cutler, who was with the Broncos for a while. I figured if I was going to root for the Bears I better get a jersey, I thought Payton was a safe bet... because who can hate on The Sweetness?
My seats were in between the 30-40 yard line, row 11!! I was close to the action. The pic below is a view of the Bronco's bench from my seat (cell phone pic...)
My Bears were victorious 27-17.
Sunday night came my only really scary moment since I was travelling alone. I had gone to bed and was pretty asleep when I heard someone trying to get into my room. I bolted out of bed (I think I might have pulled a muscle in my back) and was searching for my glasses so I could call the operator for help. I heard one voice say "It wont work, I can't get in!" when the other voice said "Because it is the wrong room, dumb ass." (oops there is a swear in this post) and they left. My heart was racing for a long time after that and I could not get back to sleep for almost 3 more hours.

After the night scare, I went to the Denver Mint. It was a 30 minute tour of how they make money. 9/1 is the Denver Mint's 105 birthday. So each of us got a Lincoln penny and a blank wrapped in plastic. Did you know they have redesigned the penny? There are now 4 new designs that are released this year. It was very cool.
Last... well here is the food in Denver story. I went to Disneyland in January with a group of friends. We had a GPS with us that helped find food locations and it worked so well. We were never disappointed with what we found. So I thought I would try it in Denver. I found a listing for an Etheopian place that sounded interesting. When I arrived the place was a dive and I could not bring myself to eat there... however I had passed a movie theater on my way and felt like a flick! So I turned around and headed for the theater. I arrived just in time to catch Julie and Julia. Can I just say that Maryl Streep can do no wrong! So for lunch I had popcorn and relaxed in a nice movie!

3 comments:

Erica said...

Sounds like a blast! All except the people trying to break into your room. I'd have been freaked out too. Fun pictures!

Team Carroll said...

I'm jealous! I've taken a day vacation by myself a couple of times in the past few years and I can't wait for the next! I love to do what I want, when I want without having to coax everyone else into it! :) Sounds like you made the most of your time!

Johnson Family said...

Wow that all sounds like fun! I love horse riding! The drag show looked like a hoot! ;D