Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Monday, March 29, 2010
Saturday, March 27, 2010
Friday, March 26, 2010
Thursday, March 25, 2010
I love this musical anyway, but it was so fun to see it on stage. I had even more fun once I recognized 2 names in the program. First and foremost was Doug Meyer, one of the producers. He is friends with the family I was a nanny for in Chicago. I love this man’s family and was so happy to “help” on his return of investment by buying a ticket. I will always remember watching him win the Tony for Best Musical (The Producer’s) and spinning the Tony award while Mel Brooks spoke. Also in this show is a lady I am a huge fan of, Lucia Spina who plays Enid. All I am saying is this show was awesome!! It is here through the end of the week. I recommend!
Some fun videos for you of Lucia Spina:
I cry every time I watch this video, it is so funny! She is truly fun to watch perform. She is the dancer on the far right in the green sweat shirt. If it cuts off here, the link is just above.
I also very much enjoy her voice. This video shows how strong it is
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Monday, March 22, 2010
Sunday, March 21, 2010
In May 1997 my Uncle Lee was killed in a shooting on his way to work one morning. I did not realize it at the time, but it was the day I was scheduled originally to leave the MTC for Michigan. I found out later that the group I was scheduled to leave with was stuck in traffic on I-15 as a result of the death of my uncle.
I remember so vividly that morning. Sister and I were in the bedroom getting ready for the day. I was in the middle of putting on nylons to go to work when the phone rang. It was a little too early for the phone to be ringing for anything good; Mom picked up the phone, paused, and screamed. I will never forget that sound. Sister and I looked at each other in horror and, at the same time said, “Grandma” assuming something had happened to our aging grandmother. We ran to the hall to see Mom crying on the phone, finding out that Uncle Lee had been shot and killed.
I do not recall much of the rest of the day other than listening to the news hearing they finally caught the guy who did it, or even the subsequent week of his funeral. I do recall working at the Church Office Building and calling up to the Missionary Department in order to get a message to my Brother who was on a mission at the time in the Philippines and his wonderful Mission President letting him call home later in the week. It was not until much later that I realized that were it not for the events earlier in the year, I would not have been home when this happened. I would have been in a bus anxiously waiting for the traffic to clear so I could get on a plane to Michigan. My family would not have been home either; they would have been waiting at the airport for me; or they might have been home and would not have made it to the airport at all which might have made me worry. I would not have known what happened until much later. I do not know what would have happened to me once I got to Michigan and found out what was going on back home. I do know that I needed my family at that time, and I know they needed me.
I am struck with awe at the realization of the Lord’s hand my life at this time. While this was a horrific event in our lives, and more especially in the lives of my uncle’s family, I know that the Lord was watching out for me personally at this time. He made sure I was home when this happened and not somewhere else. He made sure I could be around to help Mom with what she needed. He helped the family fight through anger and find peace. I am amazed at seeing His hand in my life at this time. Other times I know He is there, but it is not as painfully obvious as it is in times of great trial such as this was.
When I did go on my mission three months later I met the woman I would have been travelling with on that day. She told me we were supposed to be MTC companions, and I originally was scheduled to be with her on that day. I told her that my uncle had died that day and she recalled what it was like to be on that bus waiting. We then put it together. It was she who pointed out to me that were it not for the Lord watching out for me, life would have been vastly different. It was hard for me to accept the Lord’s will in the death of Uncle Lee at the time of his death, I admit that. But now, when I can pause and look back at everything that happened, I know God was watching over our family. His hand really is in our lives. But He knew in December that I needed to be home in May and provided a way for that to happen. He knew what I needed and provided for me. He knows me personally, and knew what I was going to need specifically at this time in my life. He knows. He provided what I needed at this time. I am struck with awe of His overwhelming love for me.
Friday, March 19, 2010
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
I did not get much sleep last night for a number of reasons … the biggest of which had to do with the nightmares I seemed to have all night. I just realized I had been sitting in my office staring at my asthma inhaler on my desk for the last 20 minutes. I do not think I moved or blinked … well I probably blinked but I don’t remember it.
A few things happen to me when I do not get a full night sleep. First, I get cranky. Second, I get funny only to myself. Third, I stare. Fourth, I babble, Fifth, I get a headache. This last step is pretty much all I can think of right now because I also am on some prednisone for my lungs and I get the most amazing headaches. Sister calls them my angry pills. Any fans of the Incredible Hulk here? Years ago after being on prednisone for a day or so my head hurt so bad I was walking down the hall with my hand over my eyes to block the light. My elbow hit the heater control that sits on the wall and that sucker went flying to the other end of the hall; I sat down at the top of the stairs and just started to cry. My sweet older brother Ev came and stood over me and said “I don’t know how to help you but if you tell me to do something I will do it for you.” Still makes me laugh, because is so him. So when I told Sister that the doctor had put me on prednisone this week her exact quote was, “Oh but the house is so pretty!” We have found that if I take the pills at night I can usually sleep through the worst part of the headache. Well last night this did not work. So now I sit at work and stare into the abyss fighting a lack of sleep and my angry pills.
You should probably know at this point it has taken me an hour to type this. Not much real work is going to be done today, it is just my hunch. (Those who know me well know I just started singing Havin’ a Hunch from Seussical there.) The one thing I have managed to do so far that is 100% right, is I have somehow found the perfect CD playlist so far for the day: Drive By “A Delicate Situation”; Fountains of Wayne “Traffic and Weather”; the “Garden State” soundtrack; Linda Eder “The Other Side of Me”. That should take me to the end of lunch.
I have been thinking a lot lately about slowing down and taking it easy … and today I think even without meaning to I have accomplished this mission!!
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Thursday, March 4, 2010
- Murphy should never be allowed to make up laws
- When I worry about money, I will be tested about money
- A bladder infection gone untreated turns into something much, much worse
- You know when you get that new insurance card and your deductible goes up and you think to yourself, man I hope nothing big happens, that is a high deductible!! ??? Guess what? You can blow through that in one day!
- Just because the stuff they make you drink before a CT scan is called "Berry Smoothie" does not mean it tastes like a berry smoothie
- When you ask if there will be side effects from the CT contrast and the tech tells you 'no', she lies.
- Naming a kidney stone Fava does make it funnier, but not less painful
- Golf balls are awesome outside ones body, not in the form of cysts
- Sometimes taxes suck for the single girl with no kids who is not a home owner
- The week you find out you owe lots of taxes will be the same week you get a love letter from the IRS telling you that you might owe more
- The week you have a big project at work that makes you work tons and tons of over time that you do not get paid extra for is the week your body will shut down
- When I am asked for a quote to be broken up into specific specification sections, I need to verify if they really mean it, or if they just want the big stuff broken out from the small stuff so I do not waste 13 hours
- Remember my post about tone? The funny thing for me has been that this week ... man this week it has been really hard to remember to watch my tone. But I have not had to watch my language!!
- Sometimes a week, or month, seems rather harder than others; those weeks when it all seems to hit at once. Well during those weeks two magical words will make people be nice to you: kidney infection
- The Turner Classic Movie channel plays really cool old movies 31 days before the Oscars; two words: Ti. Vo.
- Finding a really good teaching partner is important because the two of you can really compliment each other's teaching style