Tuesday, September 8, 2009

WARNING: Political tirade to follow

It is said “For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things;” if we did not have opposites we would not know good from bad, right from wrong, happy from sad, light and dark chocolate, etc. Opposition does not, however, constitute conflict. I fully agree and support every American citizen’s right to voice an opinion even if I do not agree with it. That being said, I have a few political beefs to vent about. Feel free to agree or disagree. Voice away in the comments or on your own blog; however what I express is done now with much respect and fueled by frustration. And to answer anyone who says “If you do not like it, change it.” I promise what I say here has been emailed to my Congressman and my Senator.

-An address by the President of the United States to school children is not liberal propaganda. There is no need to boycott such an address. The President, be he (or she) Republican, Independent or Democrat, is the President and should be given our utmost level of respect. If President Obama wants to encourage all school aged children to stay in school and seek a higher education, good for him. I do not see this as political propaganda for him. He is not kicking off his reelection campaign; he is encouraging children to stay in school.

-By the same token when President Obama and his Cabinet encourage all adults to seek additional education I do not feel it is fueled by any special interest; rather it is fueled by an interest in the future of America.

-I heard my Senator in an interview claim that now Senator Kennedy has died that there is no one who can step across the aisle to get things done in the Senate. REALLY? There is no one else who can step across the aisle? Senator Hatch, how about you step across the aisle? I am a Democrat who voted for you, a Republican. I put good faith in what you can do in the Senate because of your seniority. Senator Kennedy was a good politician with many friends on both sides; do not insult his honor or my vote with your defeatist attitude.

-Governor Huntsman, and now Governor Herbert, thank you for standing up and voicing the opinion that so many share that there truly has been enough conflict concerning gay marriage. Whatever ones opinion is on the matter, I agree that there is too much hate and conflict.

-Health care reform… where to begin? My brother recently had to make the choice to insure only his wife OR his son because of the rising health care costs of his company offered health insurance. No one, no one, no one should ever have to make such a choice. We should never have to choose between high quality and low cost insurance plans. There has to be an option that BOTH sides can agree on. Do I want socialized health care? Not really, but if it meant that my family would never have to choose who can and cannot be covered then I am all for it. Do not get me started on preexisting conditions!

-Do I want socialized health care in America? No not really. However if there is an option of a government health care why is it a bad thing? My parents have government health care because my dad is retired Navy. Did you know that all of the cancer treatment that my mother received last year cost her out of pocket around $2,000? That is right, all of her chemo, a stem cell transplant, all medication and office visits, just under a month living in the hospital… $2,000. Then she did not have an out of pocket co-pay for anything for her or Dad. She goes to get a prescription filled now and it is free. I paid $2,000 out of pocket for a co-pay this year for a surgery and still have to pay 20% of all visits and not all of my meds are covered by my insurance. The key word in all of this is OPTION. I am up for health care options!

-As previously stated, I am a Democrat. However just because I choose to affiliate with one party does not mean I do not see the good opinions of the other side. Liberal and conservative opinions are both good and I, frankly, am tired of the political blame game. While we do need to have opposing views there is no reason to be so finger-pointy (yes it is a word!)

-If I hear one more person claim that President Obama is not a citizen of the United States I might scream!! Verified, thank you.

-If the city down south elects “SuperDell” as their mayor, they deserve what happens.

Venting rambling for the day, OVER! I might have just exploded a little, I know. Thanks for reading, or not… and for the record, I prefer milk chocolate... not dark!

5 comments:

Candice J said...

Amen!!

Preds Girl said...

Very well said. :-)

(I'm a friend of Kate R...I was the card lady at her bridal shower.)

And PS...I prefer dark chocolate. I suppose we have to agree to disagree. lol.

Debbie said...

You said it girl!!

Unknown said...

ok, i love the finger pointy thingy! i couldnt agree more. although i am of the opinion that we should throw almost everyone out of washington and start over with some people who are not involved in the whole which side are you on debate. and if someone would come up with a good healthcare plan that did give us options, and didnt include socialization, i would be all for it thank you very much...and for the record, i am conservative and its amazing how we can agree when we put aside the division of parties thing aint it? :)

jkribbit said...

I agree 100% to the "SuperDell" bit. Anyone stupid enough to elect him deserves him! :)