Friday, September 11, 2009

Respect. Patriotism. Remembering.

Every day at work I look out my window and this is what I see…



A few years ago the cities in the Salt Lake valley commissioned various artists to paint the sides of the buildings by the Trax line in an effort to beautify the city and as a way to hopefully curb graffiti and vandalism. I work in South Salt Lake and this used to be a beautiful mural that we all were very proud of. Many of my coworkers volunteered with this mural and with the one on the back of our building. The mural went untouched for years, it was beautiful and pristine; shining as a symbol of freedom and pride. Then one day someone, who was obviously disgruntled with something about the United States, crossed out the work ‘Free’ and put ‘Slaves.’ Further this person defaced the picture of The Statue of Liberty and made disparaging remarks about America and the police department. These remarks are no longer visible because other graffiti has covered them.

I look at this every work day. Every day, this is what I have to see.

For your sake I have blurred the profanity, mostly because it makes me heart sick to see such words and would not want to pass them on to you.

We have asked the city to repaint the wall. We have asked the building owner if we can help cover up this offense. We have been turned down because, in fact, the property to get to this mural is owned by Utah Transit Authority. We have been told that UTA will fine anyone on their property $10,000. It would cost me $10,000 and possibly an arrest to cover up this disgusting display of disrespect. We have petitioned the mayor of South Salt Lake more than once to fix it; we have talked to UTA; we have invited news channels out to portray this story. Want to know the result? Nothing… but more graffiti. The funny thing is that more graffiti appears at alarming rates with no fines; yet for me to fix it would result in a fine.

I am fired up now, mostly because of my political tirade this week and I am tired of inaction. What would you do if you were me? I would love some more ideas.

I was watching the Today Show this morning and Matt Lauer and David Gregory were talking about President Obama’s recent address to Congress where he was heckled by Congressman Joe Wilson. Gregory said something that I really liked, mostly because it has been something I have been thinking of recently. He said:

“There are a growing number of people who somehow think the President is illegitimate. And that it is okay to treat the President this way or to question the President this way. And I think that has taken shape. It certainly took shape during the administration of President Bush and now we are seeing it with President Obama. A lack of civility. Questions about the legitimacy of the President and a lack of respect for the Presidency. And we’re seeing that infused in this debate [health care].”

While I know he was talking about specifically the lack of respect for the President of the United States (both Presidents Bush and Obama), I feel this applies to respect for the ideals that the United States was founded on, for the United States itself. Especially on days like today, Patriot Day, September 11, when we remember where we were when we first heard about the planes hitting the Twin Towers, and how we felt when they fell, and the increase of pride in what the USA is and what we stood for in the days after 9/11… today especially we need to remember this and fight for the rights of patriotism. We can be a nation of volunteers, a nation of respecters, a nation of civility, a nation of patriots.

I know this mural was nothing sacred, but it was a symbol of something I love, something I revere, something I honor, something I respect just as if the Statue of Liberty herself were outside my window. It is a symbol, an emblem, a way for the artist to show his pride in America; I felt that pride daily when I looked at this mural.

The overwhelming lack of respect for this pride is what I fight against today. This lack of deference to a land I love and esteem is what I wage a war against today. This lack of civility is what breaks my heart today, and every day I have to look out my window at work and see it.

When it rains really hard there is a drain right under the right eye on this painting that makes it look like this depiction of the Statue of Liberty is crying.

So for those of you who are patriots and love this country, thank you. Thank you for your example and your strength. For all of those who volunteer in your communities and congregations, thank you. For those who stand tall when the flag is flown, who sing as loud as you can during The National Anthem THANKS. For you who tear up with pride when a flag walks past you during a parade or woke up really early this morning to put a flag in my yard (along with my neighbors) thank you! For the men and women who now fight or have fought for this pride and freedom I love, I owe you much.

For those who do not, I now vocally fight against you. I will stand and defend this American pride until the day I die. I will no longer sit by and watch while punky vandals defile the beauty that is the United States of America. I wage a fight against those who have a lack of respect, a lack of civility, a lack of pride, and a lack of patriotism.

We can agree to disagree on issues or if we like our leaders, but pride and respect are not issues to disagree on… they are the backbone of a civil union.
God Bless the United States of America!
UPDATE: 2:43 p.m. 9/11/09
Obviously someone else was sick of the graffiti too and started to paint over the wall in white. UTA came and stopped their efforts. I have just sent an email to a local TV station and the Mayor of South Salt Lake. Additionally I tried to call UTA 5 times and was never connected to any person who could help me; I sent a comment to them via their website. I just finished drafting a petition that I will deliver to UTA after I get some signatures on it. If you are interested in signing this petition please let me know.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Thank you. Heart-felt thank you.

Mandee Lue said...

I can't sing the Nation Anthem because I cry almost instantly if I do, even humming along brings the tears. I cry then, and I cry at parades, football games, assemblies - anything that begins with our Nation Anthem. I cried reading this too. Thank you, Steph.

God Bless America - today, and always :)

Stephanie said...

Beautifully stated: well said. Thank you for the touching message.

Miss Megan said...

It's odd how our freedoms and best intentions are so often blocked. I love our country and am frustrated by those who don't know what we do have!

I'll gladly sign the petition. Just let me know when and where.

Unknown said...

thank you! i got a little teary myself. i love your post. thank you thank you thank you

Rach said...

I add my thanks as well. This was beautifully written. Thank you for standing out of the crowd and saying what needs to be said. I will also sign your petition.

Michelle said...

Wow Stephanie. This was awesome. It breaks my heart to see the lack of respect. I so wished I lived closer because I would sign your petition 100 times over. Please let me know if there is something I can do from this far away. I feel like something needs to be done.

Patti said...

I completely agree with you about the continuing lack of respect in this country. I will gladly sign your petition and add my voice to yours in this extremely important issue.