Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Today I Am Grateful For ... #28

Modern technology and advances. I had an interesting conversation with a friend recently about pioneer heritage. Please do not misunderstand this in any way; I am really grateful for the pioneers who came before me to pave the way for my life. I know their struggles were great and there is a reason a germ-phobe like me was spared having to live in the dirt and push a wagon, or sail on the ocean and live (or die) with a myriad of diseases. The thing is, these pioneers did all of this for a better life for themselves and future generations. As a "future generation" of wonderful pioneers, I am grateful they paved the way so I could live in a world with so much technology.

I think the best way to honor ones heritage is to take full advantage of the advances allowed in today’s society. Does this mean I need the newest and the best forms of gadgets? Not even a little. But it also means that I do not have to eat out of a dutch oven unless I choose to, it means I do not have to make all of my clothing unless I feel the need, it means that I can scrapbook using the computer if I so choose. The thing about this is I am a pioneer in that respect for those who will come after me. My goal in life should be to leave it better than I had. I want my nieces and nephews (and any future children I might be blessed with) to be able to have life easier than I do now, just like my life is easier than my parents, grandparents, and so on. So when people ask me if I am honoring my pioneer heritage, my answer is absolutely. I do not have to wear pioneer clothes or cook like a pioneer in order to honor their memory. I honor my pioneer ancestors by living a life worthy of their heritage, not by living their life. I am grateful that I live in a day when I can type on a computer my thoughts and many friends/family can read it instead of my writing letters to everyone individually. I am grateful that I can remember I forgot to call my eye doctor to make an appointment and whip out my cell phone and call right then, no matter where I am. I am grateful that I can fall asleep to a large screen TV if I want to. I am grateful that when it all gets to be too much that I can turn all of the gadgets off and take a drive in my car with the sun roof down up the canyon. I am really grateful to live in the day and age I live in and look forward to the wonderful technology advances that the next generation gets to live with; may their lives be easier than mine.

1 comment:

Erica said...

I completely agree.