Friday, April 24, 2009

Today I Am Grateful For ... #24

Today I am grateful for Special Needs Mutual. I work with a group of wonderful people with special needs in the Midvale/Sandy Utah area. The group as a whole range in age from 12 to 80's. The special needs range from physical to emotional. I have girls in my class who have Downs, autism, developmental brain issues, physical developmental delay issues, and one who is special as a result of an accident in her youth. These women are so great. Every Thursday night I get to go be with them and feel of their wonderful spirit. These women teach me what it is like to be near perfection. While they have physical delays, they are spiritually so much stronger than I am. I am grateful for this calling in church. Each year I really have to decide if I want to go back again, but after two years... well it is hard to say no. (granted it is hard to do this AND teach Gospel Doctrine, but I digress...)

This month we are working on the Roadshow. Those who know me well will know I dislike greatly the Roadshow idea. But I understand why it is done at church. For those who have no clue what a Roadshow is: it is a small play that traditionally is taken on the road from church building to church building. The youth typically get the chance to perform in these short plays even if usually they would not have the chance to do so in a school or community production. Great concept, so why do I dislike them? Well because they are a huge competition in our stake (or have been traditionally) and I think it loses sight of what the purpose is. Well the Special Needs Roadshow allows these kids the chance to perform in front of their parents and loved ones. It really is a fun month. The acutal performance is next Thursday and the kids have a blast!! I love my Special Needs friends.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I'm thankful for special needs mutual too. Not only did I grow alot, but did you know that's where I met Scott?