Sunday, April 26, 2009

Today I Am Grateful For ... #26

Art (like to look at, not Garfunkel)

My cousin's son is moving to Chicago for the summer and I was telling him my favorite places to go there. Oh man do I miss the Art Institute of Chicago. The art there is amazing to see in person. It got me thinking about the various artists that I love and why. The majority of these images are found on the Art Institute's website

Seurat - Sunday on La Grande Jatte. To see this piece in person is totally different than seeing in a picture on a blog or in the movie Sunday in the Park with George. When you stand at the back of the room you can see the full painting. If you move close to the wall (and it takes an entire wall) all you see are dots and a mess.

Rothko - Orange and Yellow. I could not decide which of my favorite Rothko paintings to put here so you get three. Rothko actually was introduced to me on a cruise and then again at the Seattle Art Museum (SAM). I look at his stuff and I think "I could draw that." I totally could not, but it makes me think I could. His lines and colors are amazing. That is the part I do not think I could do: pick the colors.

The above 2 Rothko paintings are some I like but do not know the names for.

Pollock - Greyed Rainbow. This is actually my very favorite painting of all time. I love the chaos. I could look at this painting all day. The yellow bits at the bottom appeal to me and frankly I cannot tell you why. I love this painting.

O'Keefe - Yellow Hickory Leaves with Daisy. I think people either really like or hate O'Keefe. Her colors are vibrant for the most part and what ever her paintings represent, they are beautiful.

Monet - Branch of the Seine Near Givemy. Monet is one of my favs too. I like his use of color and I really like abstract work. While his water lily and haystacks are great, this piece is very calming to me. At the AIC there is a Monet room with various water lily and haystacks and this painting. When you leave the Monet room there is a quaint painting of two girls in summer dresses at the beach. I love that painting too but do not know the artist or the name of it.

No comments: