Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Non-important debate of the day

I am going on a vacation in 6 weeks. It is a cruise to Spain, Italy and France; needless to say I am pretty excited. The question I have, and am looking for your thoughts, is would you get travel insurance were you me? I have bought insurance before for bigger trips and never had to use it. Has anyone of my tens of readers ever had to use travel insurance? Or is it one of those things that I will never use as long as I have it but the one time I do not buy it something will go wrong? :)

The good thing about it is that the insurance is less than $100 so it is not that big of a deal, but still I just wanted opinions.

Discuss...

4 comments:

Elisha said...

Traveler's Insurance? I've never even heard of Traveler's Insurance, which either means I need to travel more, or I live in a bubble or a little of both.

Kate said...

I say, it depends.

1) What are you taking/doing that is valuable/expensive?

2) What would be the worst thing that happens if you lost those things/experiences?

3) Does traveler's insurance cover problems with flights and such? (eg, you miss your flight, the insurance would cover the cost of catching another one)

4) Does traveler's insurance cover missing opportunities because of weather, etc. (eg, one of your shore excursions is rained out and you could get a different one, but it costs money)

All these are questions to ask before deciding. I think the answer will become clear when you compare cost and value. :-)

grandma glo said...

Like you said, the one time you need it you won't have it. Buy it.

LIZ said...

So I always thought that insurance wasn't worth it, but I bought it when I went on trips where my parents also bought it. Luckily, i bought it when I went to Hawaii. Because of H1N1 fear if you have a fever you have to be checked out before they let you on the ship. I ended up having a fever. They sent me to the hospital to be cleared so i could bord the ship. My travel insurance paid for all of that - 100% of it - better than most medical insurance.