Monday, October 20, 2008

Family Hair Evening

So here is the story: My mom, once coming to grips with having cancer, told my sister Colleen and I one day that she did not want to lose her hair to chemo. The first chemo she was on was not strong enough to make her lose her hair but the chemo she will have Tuesday and Wednesday this week will. Colleen, and keep in mind that this is my sister who was Miss Midvale 2000, decided that if mom was going to lose her hair we all were. My brothers Barry and Everett have not had a hair cut in months to prepare for it. Sunday night was Family Hair Evening and the photos are below, enjoy! I know we did! Above is the whole family. Notice my brothers on the extreme sides. Barry is the one with the goofy grin and his hair was longer than everyone's but Colleen (squatting by the babies), Everett is the one with the beard. Pat is standing in the middle and his wonderful wife took all of these photos.
Mom was first, such a sad face. I think she cried just a little.
So what we did was each choose a fun outrageous hairdo first. Mom is a punk rocker...
There is the smile we were waiting for!
Dad has had a mustache for as long as I can remember. He was a brave little toaster and let Mom cut it off. Then Barry did a little Foo Man Choo on him.
This is me trying to do the Joe Biden, but looking more like a Benedictine monk.
We shaved Cancer Sucks into Patrick's head.
Everett did some extreme spikes
Colleen was Cyndi Lauper circa Girl's Just Wanna Have Fun/True Colors era.
And Candice's hubby Hutch even joined in the fun...
Barry wanted a Jean-Luc Picard from Star Trek... look at his daughter's face looking at her daddy... priceless. Right after this she burst into tears.
What no one tells you is that this itches!!
Colleen the beauty queen with her one braid up front. Business up front, party in the back!
Colleen with her family right after. Brad was a sport about his wife losing her hair. Colleen looks great even bald, if I did not love her so much...
Barry looking so preeetty in a hat that Mom's friend Mirriam sent her.
Thanks Mirriam for the hats, they are so soft!!
The crew all bald now.
The crew plus Hutch, thanks for being a part of our fun Hutch!
Mom and Dad, seriously without a stache he looks 10 years younger!
Barry grabbed my head and asked if it felt like velcro...
It does....
So that was our fun night... FHE can stand for more than Family Home Evening...

14 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am touched beyond words that your family would show such a great bond, love, and support for your mom. This must be so comforting to her to know that she's so very loved!

BTW, you all look awesome!

Caroline said...

Holy Camoley! You people are good looking! Even without hair! That Miriam is a whiz with the hats, those are so cute. Mom looks so cute as a punk rocker.


You all are brave and sassy. XOXO!

Mandee Lue said...

I'm in tears --

'Nuff said!

Sure love ya, Steph! And mom, too!

jkribbit said...

This post is AWESOME! I love the fun hairdos (especially your Mom's!) and you guys actually look really good in the after pictures. I can't believe how different your Dad looks with out his mustache and how not different the rest of you look. What a great way to show your unity and courage. I love you guys! Good luck this week <3 <3 <3

Miss Megan said...

Wow, it's not fair that all of you look so good without hair! I'm another who cried when I read this post. I think it's terrific that you are all so supportive of your mom. I have your family in my prayers.

I love you!

This Place is a Disaster! said...

You guys look so good!
I always wonder what I would look like if I shaved my head.

You make me want to shave mine!

Mother of Four said...

You guys look so great! I love your moms punk look! John was commenting that it has been a long time since he has seen Uncle Barry without a mustache! Hope thinks continue to go well. Love to you all! Candy and John

Steph said...

Hey all thanks for the comments. It was such a fun night!!

Michelle said...

Love it...absolutely love it!!! Ya'll are awesome to show this type of support to your mom! You're always in my prayers.

Scott and Courtney said...

That is so awesome of you guys to support your mom that way!! You all look great! I hope everything goes well for your mom. Let us know if you need anything!!

Rach said...

Oh my gosh, you guys are so awesome! Yep, I cried too. (I'm glad that Mandee and Megan also fessed up.)

Erica said...

Wow. You and your family are amazing. :^)

Amy Maida Wadsworth said...

This makes me cry! I'll be thinking of you for the next couple of days! I hope the chemo isn't totally miserable. I'm sure with support like this, she'll get through it! Love you!

Tiffanie said...

I know it's a few days late, but I must say, you all look AWESOME! And what a great new way to have a fresh start. Hope all is well, your Mom is awesome, and she is in our thoughts and prayers!