Tuesday, October 28, 2008

American Cheese

Can I talk for a minute about American Cheese? Or as I call it Death in my Mouth...

Seriously is this the best we can come up with? I look at the Swiss and they have a great cheese named after them ... all white with holes in it and tastes great. Oh no no, American cheese is processed and served in a wrapper and tastes like orange wax. I understand that there will be some in the blogger world who love American cheese, so to you I say rant on your blog about how I am a cheese-ist.

I do not know where I got a love for cheese from because we were raised on American cheese slices, and I did not need therapy growing up because of it. But now that I have tasted what real good cheese is like I can not stand the cheep imitation that is American cheese. For a good cheese experience I recommend visiting any Harmon’s in the Salt Lake Valley. They have a gourmet cheese counter now where you may sample any cheese they have there. Plus they have cool tips. The cheese guru at the Midvale Harmon’s is very knowledgeable and even has some fun flavor tips that include fruit and vinegar with cheese. A really good cheese tray is served at the Grand American Hotel in Salt Lake, but it is spendy. My favorite place to actually purchase cheeses that I have found to like is at Pirate-O’s in Draper, they tend to be a little less expensive on import cheese. For a fun night Raclette is my personal favorite. I love the Swiss variety (shock horror for Peggy) over the French, as the French is a little more pungent than I like. That being said I do enjoy French Raclette when it has not been curing for over a month especially since it is much cheaper than the Swiss. Makes me want to have another Raclette party… hm… It is fondue but backwards. (For you Peggy: Hmmm Child, Cheeeeeese, Child clap clap clap!) I love cheese; I would love suggestions for new cheeses that maybe I have not tried… so comment away!

This is the end of this rant about cheese. My next rant…. Mac ‘n Cheese.

8 comments:

Peggy said...

Try the petit basque with some good (french) bread. ahhhhhh...one of my faves. Mmmm child! (clap clap clap!)

Matt said...

Amen to the wonders of Raclette. It's amazing to me and my family that a cheese so stinky can be so tasty when all melty and gooey on veggies.

I also enjoy most smoked cheeses (smoked gouda is good) and a nice brie at the holidays.

Mandee Lue said...

If I could eat cheese at every meal, I'd be a happy girl! Icky American Cheese, though! I prefer fresh, soft yummy stuff from Cache Valley, or Tilamook. Or any cheese that tastes better than that fake crap! Love ya, Steph!

Tiffanie said...

And I thought I was the only one that loves cheese to snack and enjoy! Both Z and I are cheese freaks! As for a recommendation, I tend to adore soft goat cheese on a salad with pinenuts, good greens, cranberries with a vinegrette served on flatbread. I know it's not something on its own, but really, it is amazing!

Candice J said...

How do you know what orange wax tastes like?

Matt Baker said...

OK>. finally something upon which we can agree! Cheese is fabulous. Nothing in my opinion beats a good, soft Gorgonzola.

jkribbit said...

Cheese is the best food ever!! The only time I like American cheese is at my Grandma's house (we call it "Grandma Cheese") on a potato chip and cheese sandwich. I know, I'm weird. Gouda is our favorite - we call it "Dutch Cheese". And I have to tell you that Dan will be thrilled when I tell him you're promoting Harmons - he LOVES Harmons. The cheese guru there got us hooked on brie with cherry preserves on baguettes. There is also a cheese named after a British county or city or something - and I can't remember the name of it. But it's orange like cheddar and has green flecks in it - I know green doesn't sound that appetizing but it really is a good cheese. We also like a cheese that is from here in Utah (that Harmons sells) - I think it's called Promontory Cheddar or something like that.

Wow - see how much I like cheese! You can't shut me up once you get me going :)

This Place is a Disaster! said...

Speaking of Cheese - we went to the cheese store today in Logan. . .check out my blog for the details! Nothins funner than life with a 2 year old on te loose.