Friday, July 25, 2008

Kind of Snarky

July 24 is a state holiday in Utah to celebrate the pioneers entering the valley of the Salt Lake and, in essence, establishing what we now know as Utah, sharing the land with the original inhabitants the Native American Indians. Many people have the day off of work, as, in fact, I did as well. However, I chose to come into work and trade it to have next Friday off. I was sitting at my desk working, very hard I might add, it was a very productive day, and I get this text on my phone: Happy Morman Holiday!

I pause for a moment

Did I read that right? Morman? What is a Morman? So I figured that it was a day specifically for single girls like me. Those who do not usually get men, do we get more men on July 24 from now on? A little bit bugged because 1) it is spelled Mormon, get it right; 2) it is a Utah holiday, not an LDS holiday... were it an LDS holiday then my friends in Chicago are so very sad they did not get it off of work and those non LDS people I work with here in Utah sure did take advantage of a free day off. (Sometimes I just need to vent)

THEN I went to bed last night at a reasonable hour. I was in bed by 10, and probably asleep around 10:30, not too shabby! (Side bar of information: For those who do not know I am terrified of guns. I have never really liked them and less so in the past 10 years as 2 members of my extended family have lost their lives to those who have carelessly handled life and were murdered. I am not telling you this to get into a gun debate, but more so as information of what happened last night and why I am a little snarky today in regard to fireworks.) So last night at 11:30, me being aforementioned asleep, was suddenly and rudely woken with 3 loud BANG, BANG, BANG. My heart still races thinking about it. May we have a moratorium on late night fireworks please? I do think that the fireworks (sidewalk of fire) that start at 9 or so when the sun goes down are very appropriate and often fun. But a note to you punk kids who fire off illegal fireworks at inappropriate late night times: KNOCK IT OFF! There is a reason that some fireworks are illegal: for evidence of this please see the mountain by BYU. Those firecrackers that sound like an AK47, are not a good idea at 11:30 at night, jerks. Also they are not a good idea outside the window of the snarky single fat Morman girl who is terrified of guns and not in the mood to deal with your crap.

And exhale, end of therapy session! Thanks…

1 comment:

Matt Baker said...

Great to read you and catch up with your blog! I am glad things are going well for you. Excited to read more of you in the future!