Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Your mom goes to college

Let me start by saying that I had some finals due on Monday for a class I took because I thought it was going to be awesome. I wrong, it was NOT!! The course was Organizational Psychology. I loved psych when I was in high school. Pavlov’s dogs were a particular favorite of mine. I also really enjoyed reading the studies on human contact on the early development of children. So I was expecting... well frankly something similar in this psych class. At least I thought we were going to talk about things like organizational culture or structure and the employee/employer relationship. We did not. It was THE most useless class ever. We did not analyze relationships or how opinions are formed based on psychological markers. Rather we focused on organizational structure and change. This does me no good in my line of work because I work for an organization without structure and which does not embrace change. All I am saying is that if you are going to use the term psychology in a class title, then the least you can do it talk about psychological things.

Then shall I start in on my professor or would you like to wait for the sequel? Now? Okay, I shall indulge you. This Dr. decided she was going to take a special interest in our education by making our lives a living hell for 5 weeks. I have decided that if I do not make it to heaven, my hell will be writing discussion question responses for her for eternity. A DQ is supposed to be our way of participating in class with fellow hellmates... I mean class members. Typically we would respond to the previous comment and add our understanding of what we had read or just our opinion. This, however, was not good enough for Dr. N. She decided we needed to find a quote from the text, include that in a response to our class member, add our own insight, reference everything in APA format, find a quote from a reliable outside source, tie it to a quote from our class member, reference it in full APA, and finish it off with additional insight from our personal experience. IF she did not like the quotes you found or think your insights were valid, you were not given participation points. Currently I am sitting at a B- in the class. I know, I know at least it is a B and not a D, right? I have the best GPA I have ever had in my life and I worked harder for this B- than I did for every A I have received. There is a point where the professor crosses a line from teacher to tyranator (hey if our President can make up words, so can I!) I go to a school for working adults, ever heard of it? We really do not have time for a lot of homework. We cram a full 3 credit course into 5 weeks. So we are busy enough with a large amount of homework. I, for one, do not need the added work of making a power-hungry professor happy all of the time. Needless to say I am not thinking I am going to get a high grade from her. There is the smallest possibility, if I get all of the points remaining, that I can get an A-. More than likely, however I will finish the class with a very respectable B.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

There's a lot of that going around... talked to Troy lately? He really isn't enjoying his current class, either.