Monday, June 16, 2008

Does it ever get easier to say: "My mom has cancer?"

Multiple myeloma, a cancer of the plasma cell, is an incurable but treatable disease. While a myeloma diagnosis can be overwhelming, it is important to remember that there are several promising new therapies that are helping patients live longer, healthier lives. The estimated frequency of multiple myeloma is 5 to 7 new cases per 100,000 persons per year. Accordingly, in the United States, 19,920 new cases are expected to be diagnosed in 2008. There were more than 56,000 Americans living with multiple myeloma in 2005, the most current date these statistics are available.

2 comments:

jkribbit said...

Steph, I am so sorry. Cancer does suck. It's just a scary word. Your family is in our prayers - and please give my love to your Mom. If there's anything I can do to help...please let me know!

Kristel said...

I am sorry!!!