Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Too Connected?

I remember a day when I did not have a cell phone or email account or blog or facebook page... I remember that day well. How did we ever live without them? Now I have not totally gotten lost in the online social networking... I still do not really know what Twitter is or how to Tweet. But I wonder how we became so reliant on these electronic formats of communication (she asks as she blogs!) Yesterday afternoon visualize this picture: I was sitting in a chair on my laptop next to my father who was on his laptop who was next to my brother who was on his laptop who was next to his wife who was playing on the iPod Touch who was next to my mom who was on her laptop who was next to one of the kids on another iPod Touch. We really are living in a material world and I am a material girl.

3 comments:

Candice J said...

The time to worry is when your family is sitting like that, and you are instant messaging each other. :)

Colleen said...

I was thinking about this over the weekend too, after listening to a show on NPR about the book Hamlet's Blackberry. It was very interesting.

This guy and his family unplug over the weekends, and you might think he would be all "Anti-technology," but it really was all about using it more appropriately and taking a break from it. When you've had a break from it, you then appreciate it more and use it more wisely.

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2010-09-06/william-powers-hamlets-blackberry-rebroadcast

grandma glo said...

Ah good old family togetherness. Who could ask for anything more.