Monday, September 27, 2010

Civic Duty

There are these new ads playing in Utah about Election Day. They make me laugh so hard. I wish I could find one online to share, but alas I have not been able to. Funny. This couple, I believe she is pregnant, share info about Election Day. One ad I have seen is about early voting, another one they walk up to their normal polling place only to find it locked. She exclaims "But I was excited to perform my civic duty!" She then makes her husband check the door again only to find it still locked. I do not know why I laugh so hard, but I do!

Last week I received my preliminary jury qualification questionnaire. The month I possibly could serve is November. I have a trip to Chicago planned the first week in November which I had to claim on this qualification. I have never served on a jury, in fact a few years ago was the first time I was ever summoned; I was not chosen. So when I saw these dates I felt like this lady "But I was excited to perform my civic duty!" I assumed they would just excuse this term of jury duty all together since I had a conflict. However, I just received an e-mail saying that my qualification has been accepted with my request to be excused the first week okay'd. Which means I might still get to perform my civic duty! Voting and possible jury duty in the same month... am I the luckiest American ever?! I know there are some who would not consider me lucky, but oh man I am excited!

2 comments:

Rach said...

I am smiling to myself right now because you are just awesome.

Preds Girl said...

Hey~ I served on a jury earlier this year and felt happy to do so! I felt like one of the "crazies" for actually wanting to participate in the whole thing. It was very informative and enlightening. I hope it all works out for you to get to serve!

~DOWNtown!