Friday, August 8, 2008

A reader?

So I was never much of a reader growing up. I did not like to read for school or pleasure. I did not understand it. In Elementary School we had to check out 2 books a week, one serious and one fun. I did like the Ramona Quimby books a bit so I usually got one of those, and then (as previously stated) would get my political junkie book: The Life of JFK. I was in love with President Kennedy, me being a Dem was not such a shock....

But now, as an adult, I AM A READER! I just can not get enough of books. I listen to them when I drive (I highly enjoyed The Professor and The Madman and am now listening to THe Minority Report and Other Short Stories) and I read books like they are going out of style. I just finished the Twilight series... (hm... is what I say about the Twilight series.... just hm....) and I am a huge fan of Jodi Picoult and Jennifer Weiner. I wonder why the switch? My sister Colleen was always the reader (well her and Everett, but Everett is the kind where he will take a book to the movie and ready up until the movie starts... i.e. even during the previews. Everett can read many books in a day... not sure how he does this.) I think it started with, I hate to admit it, Harry Potter. I like the books now, but when I was a nanny I hated them. I did not know how to pronounce the names... like Hermione... and it was not until I had seen the movie that I like the book. Backwards, I know. So now I am a reader. I say it loud I say it proud. (One day I hope to be like Wretchel who can have 4 books going at once and not get lost... I have a hard time with one if I stop to watch a movie, it is a thing with me.)

So I open the comment discussion forum: Book tips?!?! Favorite series?? Thoughts on book clubs?? Favorite writer? Books to stay away from, those that you think I would hate... keep in mind I might just read it to spite you! Post ye faithful, and ye lurkers!

3 comments:

Erica said...

I've always loved to read. It's only gotten worse the older I've gotten. :^) I've even rubbed off on my husband. It used to be that the ONLY book he'd read (other than the BofM) was Ender's Game. Now he's reading everything from Harry Potter, to Dickens, to Hugo. Quite the switch for him.

Personally, I really enjoy historical fiction. Dragonwyck is probably my all time favorite book. It's very well written.

I've also come to enjoy fantasy. I used to not be at all interested, but now I've enjoyed Harry Potter (for the most part), Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, Narnia (I'm almost finished with this series) and I liked the first Fablehaven book. I haven't read the other two yet though.

I enjoy getting together with people that have all read the same book. I don't always like what they choose to read. However, it's gotten me to read (and learn from) books I wouldn't have otherwise picked up. That having been said, I think I've only attended 4 out of the last 16 or so meetings of our book group. hehe

Favorite writer? Anya Seton would probably be it because she wrote Dragonwyck. I love her style. I have no idea if you'd like it though. I did it for book group and though everyone seemed to enjoy it I did get a couple of "Why is this your favorite book?" hehe To each his own.

Oh, and for a well written, but VERY creepy murder mystery, try Blood Ties by Sigmond Brouwer. Hum...I might have to check the spelling on that one. You get into the mind of a serial killer. *shudders* I believe it's out of print but the library should have it or you may borrow my copy.

Btw...did you get that CD of pictures?

Miss Megan said...

I'm another fantasy enthusiast: Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, and David Eddings "The Belgariad" and "The Mallorean" series.

If you're looking for thought-provoking, I really liked C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters." That guy obviously put a lot of himself and his faith into writing this novel.

Oh! One I really think you'd like is "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman. Yes, it's basically the same plot as the movie and the same characters, but it's more humorous, more clever, more action, more of the characters you love. It's just a lot of fun and silliness.

I really like Patrick O'Brien's "Master and Commander" series. The characters are fantastic and it's really witty. It is a little dense, though (it was written in the 70s, but in the 1700s style, so very wordy and descriptive). Also, the books don't end cleanly, so you almost have to read the next one to find out what happens. A little annoying, but totally worth it, in my opinion.

Classics I find worthwhile: "Gone with the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell (the movie is brilliant, but doesn't come close to describing the angst or strength of the characters. The main character in this book is the South, and the history and story is inspiring); "The Scarlet Pimpernel" by Baroness Orczy (the orignal story, but even though it's exciting and surprising, none of the movie or musical versions follows it very much); "The Phantom of the Opera" (a little different than the play/movie, so although you know most of the story it's still smart and spooky).

Have fun! Let me know what you're reading (and I won't be offended if you don't look into any of my suggestions).

Rach said...

"Fablehaven" - liked the series so far. "Scarlet Pimpernell", "Princess Bride", "Gone with the Wind" - love them. I have not yet finished The Phantom of the Opera.

For a couple of random books, try "The Guardian" by Nicholas Sparks (a novel about a stalker that had me looking behind me and double-checking the locks.) and "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield (I don't really know how to describe this book.)

One of my favorite books ever is "Little Women."

Also, if you like the classics, "Oliver Twist" is great.

And, for a really great trilogy, try "A Great and Terrible Beauty" by Libba Bray (if you like fantasy stuff - although this is not really the normal type of fantasy novel.)

I could go on and on . . . but I won't. And, for the record, I am only reading two books right now! Unless you count the unfinished "Phantom", but I don't.