Wednesday, December 2, 2009

It's Beginning to Smell A Lot Like Christmas

Let's get it right out in the open: I LOVE CHRISTMAS! My family does not always think I do because I do not like to decorate a tree and Santa decorations are not my thing. But I love the lights, the feel, the smells, the cheer, the music, the smells, the joy, the snow (sometimes), and did I mention the smells?

Mom and Brother have been cooking and baking all week to get ready for the boutique at our house this weekend, you should come! I walk in the door every night and get a big hug from Sissy and get to smell something new. Last night was chocolate chip cookies, the night before was caramels and almond/macadamia nut roca. I understand soon there will be what my family calls Nuts & Bolts (chex mix basically.) I love it! It smells like Christmas at my house all the time now. We put up the Christmas tree last night for Mom. She loves the tree and could not have one last year because of her bone marrow transplant (less is more right after transplant!) Also coming this week are caramel apples and fudge. Bring it on, I say!

To add to the smells last Saturday I spent the day with Besty and Mama B making mint patty chocolates for her to sell at the boutique too! I know how to make mints! And they taste so good!

Then can we talk about Hanukkah? My family celebrates Hanukkah every year, so bring on the menorah and fried foods! I love to sit and watch the candles of the menorah burn down every night. Eight nights of celebrating light. What a wonderful Holy Day. I admit though, usually the menorah is not far from one of my many nativity sets (I get a new nativity set each year) but I think celebrating Jewish and Christian heritage at the same time is pretty cool! (My other favorite Jewish holiday is Passover; I sometimes miss living with my Jewish Chicago family.)

So yes, Christmas season is here. People seems nicer, Christmas music is everywhere, lights are shining brightly, and the smells are homey! What makes this Christmas even better is that it is our year for all of my siblings and their children to be with us! I love spending Christmas Eve with our family and the Aunts eating waffles, taking my yearly small bite of bacon, reading the Christmas story from the Bible, and opening one present. I am also excited to have nieces and a nephew who are getting older so they can be excited for it all. Sissy and LoMo will be very much into it, maybe not so much LB or Mac, but next year they will be... oh wait, next year is an off year... never mind.

An early Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to you all. Get your shopping done early and enjoy the spirit of the season! (inhales!!)