Thursday, December 24, 2009

Dear Julie

Hey Jules, you are such a good friend for recommending The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society to me. I loved it.

I found the book lovely and interesting. However, that being said... how dare you introduce me to such a book? I loved it loved it loved it and it is all your fault. Why is this bad, you might ask? I loved it so much that I was sad to see it end. I loved it so much that now I wonder what I am going to do; I do not have a book to read. I was thinking, I could read some other book that I have in my library... well guess what? I do not think I have a book that can top this one. This book made me want to join a book club just to talk about this book about a book club! I never thought I would find the German Occupation a treat.


Here is what I loved about this book: I found the characters charming and the story engaging. Juliet was funny, Sidney was charming, Dawsey was my little knight in shining armor, Isola and Kit I wanted as part of my family, and dear dear Elizabeth… where do I start on Elizabeth? I was in the dentist chair reading this book when I found out about Elizabeth and actually dropped the book. I was so in love with this book I actually mourn it being done… and now I blame you because it is done and I do not feel you fully prepared me for just how great it actually was... just kidding Jules. Thank you so much for the recommendation of this book. I want to read it again, right now. It was a great way to spend a Christmas Eve afternoon!


So to be fair to those I might have given this book to for Christmas, I warn you just how wonderful this book is. You might laugh, you might cry, you might not want it to be done. You might hate it, I doubt you will, but you might. I might be overselling how much I loved this book, but I doubt it. Out of 5 stars, I give this one a 10! I loved this book!!


Heart Y-TOM Jules, Heart Y-TOM!!!

3 comments:

jkribbit said...

Dear Steph,

I'm so, so, so glad you loved Guernsey! I was bummed for days after I finished reading it the last time - I missed everyone so much!

I have another recommendation for you. I'm not even going to pretend these books can come close to Guernsey, but they are entertaining and I've been enjoying them. It's the "Thursday Next" series by Jasper Fforde. The first book is called "The Eyre Affair." Also, have you read "My Life in France" - Julia Child's memoirs, yet? I enjoyed that one as well.

HeartYTOM!!

Steph said...

Heaven help me I just bought Pride and Prejudice and Zombies because I have heard it is kind of a funny take on Jane Austen. Here's hoping!! I will have to check out the Thursday Next series! It sound interesting and no I have not read anything by Julia Child. I have seen the movie about her, though, but I doubt it counts. Thanks again for the suggestions; I realized that I have all of the Jane Austen books AND Jane Eyre to read again! I might just have to do that!

jkribbit said...

Lauren read P and P and Z this summer and loved it - I believe Sense and Sensibility and Sea-Monsters (or some such) is out now too. "My Life in France" is Julia Child's memoirs and the Julia Child part of "Julie and Julia" was based on it.

Happy Reading! :)