Friday, December 18, 2009

Hanukkah Day 8


So as a Mormon why do I celebrate Hanukkah? I love this holiday because of the time I spent in Chicago. I was a nanny for a family where the father was raised Christian and the mother Jewish, not uncommon there. They celebrated both the Jewish and Christian holidays. As a Christian I had not a lot of knowledge of the Jewish Holy Days, and was very happy when the Richter's would invite me to celebrate with them. I lived with them for 4 years and learned something new each holiday. Hanukkah was my favorite because I love celebrating light and all it symbolizes. The kids did not get a present every night of Hanukkah, in fact most of the presents were given at Christmas. But the lessons that are taught during Hanukkah were amazing.
When I moved home to Salt Lake I decided that I was going to keep up the tradition of celebrating Hanukkah with my family and friends. I bought a pretty cheap menorah the first year, and two years later I invested in a nice one. Then my brother married a woman whose heritage is Jewish as well. It was nice to be able to incorporate some of her culture into our lives as well. Every year when I call the local synagogue to get candles the Rabbi asks me if I am Jewish and every year I tell him no but we celenrate it anyway. He usually pauses and then asks "May I ask why you celebrate Hanukkah when you are not Jewish?" It is like my own little Hanukkah tradition
In the last 8 days I have only scratched the surface of what Hanukkah is. And it means something different to everyone I know that celebrates it.
Happy Hanukkah everyone. May we all find light in our lives to celebrate.

No comments: