Friday, September 26, 2008

The Surprise part 1: The Remodel

A little background:

Fact #1 - My family moved into our current house when I was in the 4th grade (or was it the 2nd?) and there is a bathroom in the basement that has NEVER worked. Keep in mind that I am 32 now. We called this room the "Spider Bathroom" because really that is all that used the room... the spiders.

Fact #B - My mom has cancer

Fact #3 - Mom just went on an 8-day vacation to Seattle before her bone marrow transplant next month.

Fact #the last - Put all of these facts together and one might find a surprise below.

So this is what the bathroom looked like before, literally never been used. We did just rip out the existing tub which was kind of nappy. This picture is right after that.
The new tub installed and ready for ... well installed anyway.After the new tub was installed, my brother Barry took a little break. Another kind of nappy... ha ha.

My sisters Colleen and Debbie and I took the challenge to paint the room. May I just talk a minute about primer and how much it smells?
I work in a business where from time to time I get to visit construction sites sometimes during demo. I have a few street signs that were going to be thrown away that I salvaged for something.... what that something was I did not know. So we designed the bathroom around these signs. The result is below:
We made an animal control towel rack, its a nice rack...

Then on Saturday when Colleen, Debbie, and I went to Ikea to find accessories we found this picture. It is of New York a few years ago. You cannot see it but one of the signs is of Law and Order. The No Parking sign, I admit, we had made special, it is not a reused sign.
The accent wall is maps of places that we have lived as a family: Utah, Seattle, Bremerton WA, Eugene OR, Chicago, San Diego, Wyoming, Tennessee, etc. The places on the map are marked with spider stickers instead of red dots so this will always be the spider bathroom. Okay, so we had an issue yesterday right before Mom's plane landed. Barry and I were attaching the sink. We had problem after problem attaching the sink. So Barry was anchoring the sink to the wall and the sheet rock gave way.
So sad all I could do was laugh!!
What did we do? Well thank you for asking, we covered up the hole with the sink and we are going to replace the sheetrock on Saturday... and by we I mean my brothers Everett and Barry. So the bathroom works except for the sink... we just wash our hands in the tub.
See the video that should be posted in part two for a nice little tour, especially with the shower... come on!
It was a long week, but I love the result. Like I said part 2 has videos; one of mom seeing it for the first time.

4 comments:

Mandee Lue said...

I love the NO PARKING sign!! Ha ha! It's great Steph - just wonderful! Can't wait to see the videos!

Reba said...

I laughed so hard at your unloading only sign... you should sell them. Just think of the money you would make... who wouldnt want one? And I loved seeing your mom on the video! Very fun.

Matt said...

Wow. Blown away by your example of coming together as a family to do some thing amazing for your mom.

Caroline said...

Nappy. LOLOLOL!