Monday, September 1, 2008

Here's a Story...

You have asked and here is the story… I took some time to heal after the trauma of it all. The other day I was invited to a friend’s home for dinner. She is a single mother and has 3 children. The oldest girl invited a boy to the home for dinner as well. This family lives down in Saratoga Springs Utah, which is right by Camp Williams. The daughter told us before the boy arrived that he was training at Camp Williams in communication. Apparently this was a secret.

We were waiting for dinner and my friend asked him if he spoke a foreign language and could tell us how to say cancer sucks in it. He knew Arabic and figured out how to say it and wrote it out for me. I asked him how he knew Arabic and he refused to answer. So I said jokingly, “Is it one of those instances where you could tell me but you would have to kill me?” We all kind of chuckled, all but him. He gets this look in his eye and says, “Yes actually it is.” Our chuckle turned to nervous laughter seeing the look in his eye.

During dinner one of the other kids said something to which this soldier replied, “I could kill you all you know and make it look like an accident.” Then he got this far off look in his eyes and said, “I wonder how I would do it.” He then proceeded to really take in his surroundings and it looked like he was really deciding how he would kill us if we said something wrong. Everyone at the table was super nervous after this.

The son of my friend asked us all if we would like to go down stairs and play Rock Band together. On the way down the hall I passed by their 3 dogs that were playing kind of rough with one another. The biggest of the dogs turned on me when I was passing and snapped at my leg. He did not break my skin, but ripped my pants and I have a bruise where he snapped. The family took him outside right away and did the whole, “Bad dog, bad dog” thing that pet owners do when pets do something wrong. The family then apologized for the dog telling me that he is mentally retarded and had just started snapping lately without provocation. I wonder why anyone would keep a mentally retarded dog? But then I am not a pet person. Still if that mentally retarded dog snaps at a child or breaks the skin of the next person…

Once we got down stairs the soldier had one more moment where he did again threaten our lives. The son had finally had enough and told him that he was tired of the erroneous threats and that he was not so tough just because he was in the army and asked him to stop it and just have fun with the family. This soldier I think was taken aback and said, “Well she blew my cover.” Okay let me just say that if you live by Camp Williams and have a super short hair cut like you just got out of basic training most people are going to see through your “cover.” Also who cares about your cover story? What terrorist am I going to tell where to find you? Please!!

So the night was almost over, or so I thought. I had driven the eldest daughter down because she lives in Salt Lake and was waiting for her to be ready to leave. She had not told me that she was spending the night at her mom’s. So finally I asked her at 12:40 or so if she was getting ready to go home which is when she told me she was staying and I drove home alone that night… Good story, no?

7 comments:

Erica said...

Wow...

Miss Megan said...

Dude, that "soldier" is messed up. I'm glad you got out of there safe and sound, and that you weren't the only one who thought he was odd.

Stephanie said...

Thank you for the delicious soup! We all loved it, and gobbled it up.

You are such a caring friend: thank you so much!

Love you!

This Place is a Disaster! said...

And you call these people friends?

Okay.

jkribbit said...

Holy cow - that's quite the dinner party! Good story - yes. But you left out the part about girls hitting each other's breasts...

Hope you had a stellar holiday weekend to make up for the trauma!

Rochelle said...

Im glad you made it out alive and all. I would hate to hear how you were mysteriously killed at a friends house.
Just so you know if you are ever at my house for dinner, you will not be threatened with your life....

Amy Maida Wadsworth said...

Wow. Sounds like an interesting evening... I hope you've recovered fully! Yikes!