Friday, September 12, 2008

Allergy testing 101

Seasonal allergies are not the best thing ever. Just trust me on this if you have no prior knowledge! I decided to be proactive for next year and try immunotherapy shots. In order for this to happen I had to have a skin test to reconfirm what I am allergic to. First you lay on your stomach and they stick allergens on your back and poke them in your skin. I did not take a pic of that for VERY obvious reasons. However to get a more accurate reading they also can do tests on the arm. To do the arm test they take actual syringes of the venom and inject ... yes inject ... it in your arm. You are not allowed to scratch your arm during the test and trust me when I say it itches.

First we have the right arm with the trees and grasses. Then the left arm with the weeds, molds and animals.
The after shot of the right arm after the allergens have time to work and the marker is cleaned off. That big welt in the middle is my major tree allergy of Ceder. I ave 5 trees that scored high on the test and will be included in my injections.
The after of the left arm is not as bad as the right. I do have some mold allergies still but we found that my allergies to cats and dogs are not as pronounced! Not that I am going to become a pet person...
Now I wait for a week for the magic potion to be mixed up. Hopefully by next spring with getting weekly injections I can have fewer allergies and spend more time outdoors (not camping mind you... I still am allergic to dirt everywhere... I don't like dirt.) They say that the shots should cause an immunity to these tree allergens in 3-5 years. This is good news to me!

I wonder if I went to try to donate blood if they would take one look at my allergy track marks and force me into a rehab program?

3 comments:

Miss Megan said...

Um, that looks horrible! Are you healing quickly? I think I should probably have that testing done too...

Way to be proactive! Imagine how much you won't miss those allergies.

BRITTANY said...

Holy voluntary mutilation batman.

BRITTANY said...

Holy voluntary mutilation batman.