Thursday, August 5, 2010

Debate ... If you want

So last night I had a debate with my father. We rarely see eye to eye on things (oh come on Dad, you know it is true!!) and it was rather interesting so I wanted the feedback at large:

The scenario is thus:
Someone sends a forward email to a mass group that they think is so funny or pertinent. This email obviously contains something that has offended at least one person in this group who then hits 'reply all' to voice their general dislike of the original email.

What is your take on people ...
1) sending forwards
2) sending emails they think are funny (political, religious, etc) that you do not find funny
3) someone hitting reply all to tell the original sender off
4) someone sending a private email to the original sender asking to be removed from their email list

I obviously have an opinion on it. I delete forwards, I rarely read them because they rarely apply to my interests. Since I have very different political views than many of my friends or family I rarely find jokes about our leaders funny and therefore just find it easier to hit delete than be mad about it. Also some of the forwards (especially pet ones) are a general waste of my time (I do not like most animals ... I do not hate them ... I have a fish.)

However, I do not find anything wrong with someone who has been included in a mass email that is offensive (or they find offensive) hitting reply all and letting the group at large know their view. It is the same with people forwarding on emails that Snopes have proven only an urban legend, etc. I know it makes me think twice about sending something on that might be questionable. Sure the response might be harsh, but what is more offensive: getting an email that is hurtful or standing up for you and your people?

I have sent people requests privately to be removed from their email lists. It is never pleasant especially if it is a family member. But I think it is better to ask to be removed than to get emails that make me mad!!

My Dad and I did agree on one thing last night (shocker!) We both think that you need to know your audience. Send things you think might apply or are interesting only to certain people. I do not find political forwards necessary especially the ones that slam The POTUS (current, past, future.) But I might enjoy an email with some info on the Emmy nominations, or a new show on Broadway, or a new tech gadget, etc. Know your audience before you hit send.

I am not saying I am wrong, I am not saying I am right. What are your thoughts on this scenario?

4 comments:

Trudy G. said...

Interesting. I usually don't mind forwards, however I will admit many times I do not read the entire thing. The overly cutesy ones annoy me for some reason. And some of the gushy PowerPoint shows that open in slide show mode and you have no idea how long they are going to be and you have to wait for every word on the page to load,those sometimes bother me - okay now I'm rambling.
I do not like it when people hit reply to all, it just adds to my in-box unless they have something clever to say to everyone.

I have privately asked a family member not to include me on what he considered funny emails which I considered offensive.

And I am that person that will let the sender know that the urban legend they just sent out to 300 people is not true.

Michelle said...

Very interesting debate you had there. I am one that tends to think twice before I forward something. I don't forward everything nor when I do forward does it go to everyone on my list. I think you are right in having to know your audience and send them things that is appropriate for them.
I'm not against the reply all debate - but I think you need to be wise when you do use the reply all. If you're replying all say on an mass invite then I would say that's out of line. I don't care who's going to be to the event. That would take a reply back to the sender only. If it is a reply all to clarify the email than that is appropriate. You just have to make sure that when you hit reply all that you're doing it for the right reason.
Just my 2 cents.

Brad Molen said...

I delete them automatically. I don't even bother reading them. With that said, if someone does take offense with an email forward, they should feel safe to reply back (not reply all, just reply direct to sender) and say they'd like to be deleted from that email list. At that point the sender of said forward should not be offended by this.

I personally feel that before you start forwarding emails to your entire mail list, send an email of your own creation to the list making sure they are alright with it. It's easy to set up a new email list that includes only people who are okay receiving mass forwards.

Wendy said...

Personally, I don't read any forwards. I don't care who they're from or what they're about. I just don't want to waste the time (I say as I'm replying to a blog post - hee hee).

I agree with you - know your audience... and check yourself anyway, just in case, BEFORE you speak or email.

But as for the "reply all" to the sender saying how offensive, etc. whatever they sent was, I find that annoying AND incredibly bad manners. If I don't know a person, I really don't want an email from him saying what an e-faux pau (sp?) a mutual friend committed. Most often, especially among friends, correction should only be given privately.