Monday, July 12, 2010

Divas and Hair

I have seen some amazing theater in my life. I have been the New York twice and seen Broadway shows, I lived in Chicago for years and saw some wonderful productions there, even the season they bring here to Utah through Broadway Across America if phenomenal. But nothing, NOTHING, I have seen so far compares to what I saw Saturday. I saw 110 in the Shade at Hale Centre Theatre Orem starring Audra McDonald. Child, please!!

HCTO is a small theater (300 seats) and Audra McDonald is a 4 time Tony Award winner. I was feet away from her the whole show. My friend Elisha turned me on to a deal where tickets for this performance were 65% off, which was quite a savings. All of the cast and crew were donating their time for this special engagement run to raise funds for HCTO to build a new more state of the art theater.

Words would be insufficient to describe how amazing this show actually was. If I had seen it at full price I still would have thought I got a good deal. McDonald is a truly talented actor. Her demeanor transforms throughout the show. It was astounding to me to see an actor of this caliber perform. Her entire being was involved in the show.

Honorable mentions for this show also need to include local Utah actors: Marvin Payne, Jared Young, Kevin Goertzen, and Rachel Lynn Woodward. These actors are staying in the production now that the special engagement is over and would be worth the price of normal admission to see. Jared Young and Rachel Lynn Woodward had amazing chemistry together. This was a GOOD show!!

After, of course because we are crazy stalkers, I waited by the stage door for autographs and pictures with my posse: Candice, Hutch, and Craig. We lost Megan somewhere in the crowd, but she got pics too and wrote a fun blog about her experience.

Audra McDonald was gracious and spent a little time with those asking for her autograph. One lucky fan even asked for a hug, jealous!!
Radiant, right?

Me, Audra McDonald, and Craig

Candice, Audra McDonald, and Hutch


And since I have been asked for pics of it, even though it can be seen earlier in this post, here is my new hair. It is blonde, yo!! I do not know if I am having more fun, but gentlemen seem to prefer me now!!
This is my costume for the upcoming production of Joseph...

My pal Casey is the Narrator (she is freaking amazing!!) and my character gets to fight with her the whole show. It is a fun departure to play the "bad guy" but I am having a blast!!

4 comments:

jkribbit said...

I'm getting a very "Ode to Sue Sylvester" vibe here.... I can't wait to see it!! Love, love, love the hair!!

Mandy said...

Audra is gorgeous! I'm so happy for you that you got to see her. And I LOVE your hair! Keep it blonde girl, it's cute. Miss ya.

Miss Megan said...

Oooh, so good! Your post and Audra. I love the way you describe things. I'm still cracking up at you mouthing "Make him stop talking!" from across the audience while Cody Swenson went on and on with his "please give us money" speech! I am so glad you were there! Can we go again, please?

Caroline said...

You look so adorable! I really gotta make it to this production!