Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Censor?!

I have lately been censoring some comments left on my blog and I feel to answer as to why. First 99.9% of the comments I censor are from sources I do not know or recognize. My guess is that my post might contain a word or phrase that they track online by a reader or such. Most of these comments are left with a link to a website or blog that I do not know or recognize. The majority of these comments are either not relevant to what my blog was about or contained what I deem offensive or derogatory comments about "my people." Now while I believe in everyone's right to believe in whatever they will AND has the right to express their own opinion (free speech and all!) I also believe that this blog is the intellectual property of me. As such if I find a comment offensive or rude to me or my people I will block it. I have no problem with this. If I block a comment it means that my blog is not the forum for you to express your bile. Your blog is your forum to express your opinion and, if you choose, your derogatory comments.

This being said, if I do not agree with your point of view but you have not been rude, offensive, or condescending to me or my people I will gladly post your comment. I am all for a healthy debate about a number of topics and ideals. If, however, you choose to attack my religion, family, friends, etc not in a constructive manner, I do not want your comments any where on or associated with my blog. I will protect my people with every effort I can.

Just like Meredith is Christina's 'person', I have 'people'. I include in the phrase "my people" my family, my friends, my religion, my politics, my community, my state, my country, and most everyone in the human race. I include me in this phrase as well: I am often my own 'person.' You might not agree with what I post here on my blog, that is your right, but I do not attack people here and expect the same courtesy from the comments. I express ideas that often are only interesting to me and encourage a debate on many topics. I do not encourage rude comments from random or anonymous sources.

I do not encourage random comments that link back to your website or blog that has nothing to do with me or my blog. I will blanket block comments that have a web address that I do not know if it is from a person I do not know or trust.

I know there will be some people who do not agree with this, I am fine with that. Not everyone has the same opinion, which I love. Is it a double standard for me to say I believe in free speech and then block some comments from my blog? Maybe. But I ethically cannot post some of the comments I receive from time to time. That being said, the majority of my comments are appropriate and approved. I felt the need to explain why some people do not see their comment turn up.

That might be all I have to say about this right now. I digress ...

3 comments:

Preds Girl said...

I love this post!

Sounds like you've been getting some not-so-fabulous comments...gag! That is so annoying!

Patti said...

After reading this post I realized I have been very lax in policing my own blog. I have now changed my settings.

Thanks so much1

This Place is a Disaster! said...

These things you have spoken of are exactly why I felt forced to take my blog private. I really hate being private - BUT When it was my own family that is leaving jerky comments . . . that's where I draw the line.
I used to have a few strangers here and there, and yes even the randon links for people to click on too.
I agree that my blog is MY BLOG. If you want to rant about me or what I think then do it on your own blog. If you want to leave intelligent opposing views without derogatoryness added, then you are welcomed to stay and chat a while!