Sunday, November 9, 2008

Be It Ever So Humble...

Mom has been home now to 2 days. Her doctors told her on Friday morning they were considering sending her home. Mom told them she would like to go home because she felt she would eat, sleep and feel better at home. They finally told her around noon that they were sending her home, BUT they wanted to give her one more dose of potasium first. This they do slowly so it took until 4 for it to be done. They needed to check her blood an hour later and then wait for the results. Mom was a little anxious about 5 to leave. The PA Amity (cool name, huh?) came in at 6 to tell her that her potasium was still not up, but that they would still let her go home provided she could come back the next day for some follow up blood work. Done and done and off we went.

We had a nice little surprise when we came home to a small flood in the laundry room because the washer had over flowed. Small crisis taken care of by my wonderful siblings. Mom settled in for the night to some wonderful clam chowder Aunt Colleen had made and super yummy chocolate cake Aunt Della had made. Mom settled into bed about 9:30.

Saturday she had to go back up to the hospital for blood work but her numbers looked good, even the potasium, and she came home to Patrick playing the Wii (I was a work) and an overall quiet day. Saturday night she was tired but managed to organize her medications (wait for the pictures that are still on my camera, it is incredible the amount of meds...) while the rest of us cleaned the house again. I had the upstairs scrubbed before she came home and when I got home from work today it was a disaster. Mom cannot live in dirt right now. In fact Sister went to get her a HEPA filter for the room she is living in; we have a sign on our doors outside that says "While we appreciate visitors if you are now or have been sick or have been around anyone who is sick we respectfully ask you visit another time." This is because since she has little immune system she can not fight infections that could come into the home or are lingering here which is why I need to be even more of a germ nazi that I usually am. I digress; she and I both were ready to crash at 8, but managed to stay up until about 10 or so.

Today being Sunday we woke up really late... late enough that I slept through church. She was not going to go, but I was. Oops. I guess my body just could not wake up. Today we hope to be able to go to a viewing of a neighbor (early so to avoid big crowds) and enjoy a quiet evening at home. I just put a roast in the slow cooker (my first time, thank you very much) and it smells good even now! I think I might take a crack at gravy too. Growing as a person. But all is well!

3 comments:

Colleen said...

I am so impressed that you even considered gravy! How did it turn out?

Steph said...

Oh yes indeed made gravy. It was good too!! So you and me.... Thanksgiving dinner. Oh yes. You and me all the way. Every step of the way. Turkey, pie, the works!!

Ranell said...

The slow cooker can become a massive addiction ... especially in the winter. Glad to hear you're taking this opportunity to grow! Even more glad to hear your mom is home, that has to feel good. You all seem to be taking very good care of her and she is lucky to have such great kids! You're all in my prayers.

P.S. Can I come for Thanksgiving?