Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Prank

I make it a point not to talk about work here. I think it is rather unprofessional to complain about work on a public forum such as this. So let me just be clear, I am not complaining about my work conditions or a coworker here. This is just a story, that happens to take place where I work, after hours.

Mom and I went to see Mary Poppins again Tuesday night. We both happen to work at the same place, so I left my car here and we drove downtown together in her car. After the show ended (cherry seats so good I can tell you that this Mary Poppins has blue eyes!) we drove back to the office for me to get my car. When we pulled into the parking lot the lights of her car hit mine and I had a sudden panic attack. Something was wrong with my car. It looked like someone had keyed it REPEATEDLY. I might have cussed a little. Then we were able to see the car closer and it was not in fact damaged. Someone had wrapped it in shrink wrap. Then I know I cussed. So at 11:00 at night, in a rougher than some neighborhood, I was forced to unwrap my car while my dear Mother watched helplessly. I knew immediately which one of my coworkers had done it. So yesterday morning I told him he was a jerk, with a smile on my face!

This particular coworker loves a good joke. He frankly loves a bad joke. But pranks are his thing. I generally do not approve especially at work. Because it is all fun and games until K burns his eyebrows off or J eats a meal worm and is diagnosed with cancer. Know what that means for me? Paperwork.

That being said, opportunity knocked for a sweet action payback last night on this coworker of mine. He is a hunter. I would in fact call him a mighty hunter. He just shot a deer in the bow hunt. I do not know if they call it a 5x6 or an 11 point buck. But he sure is proud of that thing. So he brought in the antlers to work (I don't get it either) and for some reason left those antlers on the shipping table. Now I did not touch them, or harm them in anyway. That is just gross. But he got a text from me at 5:30 last night "Payback is sweet. Two words for you, son: Deer. Horns." I knew that would be enough to cause fear in his life. I knew it. And I was right!

He told me this morning that he stewed over it last night as to what I could have done to those antlers. He was envisioning me wrapping them in shrink wrap which would have ruined the width of them, or hanging them on the wall (they are not cured enough or something), or decorating them for Christmas, etc. I know I should not feel this good at a simple payback, but words are diabolical sometimes too!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish this post had a like button. I really enjoyed reading this blog post.

Larissa said...

I think it is even a BETTER prank because it was two-fer. He thought you pranked him and then it was a double-whammy that you actually hadn't! Brilliant!