Monday, December 1, 2008

#22 - Thanksgiving Dinner

#22 on my list of 101 things to do was to cook a Thanksgiving Dinner. It has happened and ended with SWAT storming the front yard... is your interest peaked?

My sister Colleen and I made Thanksgiving Dinner this year because we were not going to be with the big extended family this year as usual. We started Wednesday night with rolls and pie (homemade, thanks to Colleen’s desire to teach me to be a domestic goddess.) Then came the brining of the turkey. I am not a fan of touching dead things. Let me put that right out there. I also am not the world’s best cook… until now! The rolls ended up dry and I killed the pecan pie, but the pumpkin pie was awesome!!

Then Thursday Colleen arrived nice and early and we started cooking. The turkey went in, the stuffing was mixed, the potatoes were mashed, etc. If I do say so myself, it was a really good dinner. Oh the gravy, so because we brined the turkey there were not many drippings, but there were some!! So we made a red wine gravy with some red wine that my brother had bought that had the alcohol removed (I wonder why they did not just call it grape juice, but I digress.) I thought it was the best part because it was a little sweet, which I like with turkey, so I was very happy!

After dinner Colleen and I were really tired, so we laid down for a nap while the boys did the dishes... well most of the dishes. I had Colleen’s daughter on my shoulder sleeping with me and woke up when Pat said that there was a police officer with an assault rifle using his car for a shield. (What?!?!) I could not get up, so this is all second hand information. Someone had broken into the house across the street from us and the neighbor next to us saw it and called the cops. The police later told us that they have been seeing this MO: The house is occupied by a recent widow who had just left. (Special place in hell for the person who is breaking into the nice old widow’s homes.) So this guy went to the back yard and kicked in the back door. The neighbor who saw it said she was watching for the guy to come back out and when he did not they walked over to see what had happened, and called the police right away. The guy somehow got spooked inside before the police got there and had left. But not knowing this the police brought out the assault rifles just in case. They took a dog unit in and went room to room but could not find anyone. The police on the outside were really using my brother’s car as a shield, not really sure why they did not pull their cars around and use their cars, but again I digress. The whole thing was scary for a little while but ended well. We always have the most exciting family gatherings!

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving too!

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Memories!

Erica said...

Holy cow! Quite the adventure. I'm glad your turkey turned out great though! :^)

Rach said...

I had cops in my front yard one time. I was in high school . . . long story . . . they also ran through the back yard . . . my parents weren't home, I had some friends over . . . my Aunt saw our house on the news that night and freaked out. Yep, memories.

We also brine our turkey (well, my husband does, because he makes the best turkey) and it is so yummy! I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving.

Mandy said...

What a loser guy. I'd like to kick his head in. Anyhoo, I'm impressed with the cooking skills. I bet you were exhausted after that, but sounds tasty!

Johnson Family said...

I have to say it was a fantastic dinner! I really loved the gravy!!! Oh and the Turkey, and the mashed potatoes, and the pies. I could go on! :D

Peggy said...

Was this the house next to the Jorgansens? What the heck? I thought your street was the little paradise in M-town!