Monday, June 14, 2010

Tony Tony Tony

Shall we discuss the Tony Awards from last night? We shall.

Sean Hayes is funny stuff. I have liked him since Will & Grace, how can you not like Just Jack? The thing I liked most about him last night as the host was the fact he did not try to be like all other past hosts. He let other actors shine in the opening number, his jokes were funny and not forced, his impromptu helper Kristin Chenoweth (love her!) had some funny bits together, dressing up in costumes from various shows was hilarious. I think he was great. Do I think he was the best host ever? No I will reserve that title for Hugh Jackman, but Hayes was great.

Chenoweth's "acceptance speech" made me giggle so hard. When she fainted after Hayes told her she was not even nominated was classic. Also a huge shout out for Bebe Neuwirth and Nathan Lane presenting the awards in the categories they had not been nominated in (Or as we call it at my house, Passover.) Funny stuff!

A change they made that I am torn on is the cutting of the awards that are considered "lesser" awards. They basically only awarded in prime time the awards for actors, directors, and best shows. While I see the reasoning for this, I think it really diminishes the efforts of all of the crew. When the costumer gets an award it is validation for the sewers and dressers as well, the sound design award acknowledges the tech crew, etc. Sure the main awards are what most people tune in for, but still it would be nice to honor the efforts of others. That being said I loved that they had more time for song performances, which is one thing I love. It did not feel rushed, there was an award and then a performance. Brilliant!

Lifetime achievement awards were glaringly missing, same as they were for the Oscars this year. I think this is sad. They got 20 seconds in a flash after commercial. Sad.

The news shows varied so much that it made the musical performances interesting. I know which shows I can do without downloading the soundtrack and which I would love to get.

Overall I really enjoyed the broadcast this year. One year I would like to go in person... and win an award too if that is not too much trouble.

1 comment:

Miss Megan said...

What category do you want to win an award for? I think you have a shot at several...

It was a fun night! In a way, I like the Tonys better than the Oscars, because the actors are used to being onstage and having crazy things happen to them. I adore Sean Hayes. I had a French teacher at BYU who was JUST LIKE "just Jack" and I always looked forward to going to class! Good times!