Monday, November 28, 2011

Su-prize su-prize!

The super secret surprise weekend was rather fun. Since it was almost 2 weeks ago now, and I am almost caught up with the work that piled on my desk while I was gone 1 day of work ... I shall tell you what the super secret surprise was. Ready, set, go!

Mom and I drove up to Walla Walla, Washington on Nov 17-20. If you think Walla Walla is not interesting, well you would be almost right. It is a cute town, great food, crappy drive from Utah in the winter. So why Walla Walla? Well we went up to see a ball game.

The back story? I was a nanny from 1994-1996 & 1999-2000 for the same family in Chicago. When I got there my boys were young: Dylan was 4 and Brady was 1. Well now D is 21, a senior in college; B is 18 and a freshman in college. D goes to Washington University in St. Louis and B goes to Stanford. Smart kids. Good kids. Handsome handsome men! D plays basketball for WASHU and B is in the Stanford band. And yes they have time to study!

Another back story. I recently had a bout of insomnia. Like BAD. Like go to the doc because I could not sleep and I was rather depressed. I have never really been depressed, so I did not know what it felt like. It was bad. One night I was laying in bed, not sleeping, so I grabbed my iPad and started surfing the interweb. I decided to check and see when D's games started because sometimes they broadcast them. I shot straight up in bed when I saw that they were playing 2 games in Washington State in November.

WASHU was playing Whitman College in Walla Walla on Friday and then a game in Spokane on Sunday. I had 1 day of vacation left. I asked Mom if she wanted to drive up there with me and see his game. She was all in. So we left Thursday after work, drove to Boise, then on to Walla Walla the next day. D had no clue we were coming. As it turned out his folks were the team parents that weekend away. What luck! So we met Jim and Laurie for dinner before the game. I do not remember it much because I was SO excited to see my boy again!

I think D was surprised.  What a handsome man he is. I wish I had a digital pic of him when I was his nanny to show you. Bright red hair that was kept in a bowl cut for years. His hair is short, he is ridiculously tall, and what a gentleman. He was always a great basketball player. Now, as I brag about him, he is the captain of the team and was last year too; his freshman year they won the DIII National Championship. Yea, he is that good.


This is D after the game. They won, of course! I knew my boy would not let me down! (they played a game on my bday last year, I asked him to win the game for me. He did. Obedient kid too!) Though the game in Walla Walla was close!! I went horse from cheering and yelling throughout the game.


This is Mom, D, and I after the game at a restaurant. His dad had to get the dead animal in the pic. Bless him. I made this sign for him with his number. Mom and I both wore WASHU shirts. Good looking kid, right? He reads my blog, I can only imagine him right now going "Um Steph, a little less about how handsome I am, kind of creepy, you know?" Alright, message received, but you are handsome D.

I was glad to have one hour to sit and chit chat with him. Sadly I did not have enough time off of work to stay for the game in Spokane. 18 hour round trip drive for a 2 hour ball game. You bet!

Love you D. Thanks for indulging your favorite nanny (self proclaimed!) for a night.

1 comment:

jkribbit said...

Fantastic picture! I love the sign. :)

Glad your trip was a success. Is the insomnia/depression being resolved? You okay? I just a phone call/text/email/facebook shout-out away!! HeartYTOM!