Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Improv adventures with MDT3

Since Squitch was on bed rest and then maternity leave, I have been able to teach the musical dance theater classes at The Learning Circle for the past 2 months. Now Squitch is back so we are going to teach for the next 4 weeks of class to get them ready for concert. Last week we did an acting exercise, a 5 minute free write. For 5 minutes each person can write whatever he or she wants to.

I got permission from 6 of the kids to share what they wrote. 2 of the members of the class wrote random words or thoughts that popped into their heads like “Romeo is a stalker” “What is your favorite letter of the alphabet?” “winner” “5 4 3 2 1” “shoes” “blue” “spots” “Did you bring that book for me?” etc. The other 4 girls wrote little stories. These are in their own voice and spelling (they are 12-15 years old.)

LJ wrote” There was a flower in the garden that grew. The flower was red, pink, purple, and white. There were a lot of flowers in the garden but this one was unique. The flower grew in the garden for months; it grew until it reached the sky. The flower stayed in the garden. No one ever touched the garden with the amazing flower because it would die.”

RN wrote “It all began on that fateful, sunny morning. My sister walked out the door with a bag of seed to plant our lonely field. She was not to return. As I watched, a giant bird flew down to grab her. Its claws gleamed silver under the shining sun as they closed around her body. Its beady, red eyes stared at me mockingly. Then, with a great whoosh, it lifted its pale wings and rose into the fresh air. My sister let out a terrified shreak before she disappeared, never to be seen again. I raced outside, screaming. The time had finally come. War was upon us. Now, the only question was, how many would survive?”

KA wrote “The rain was pounding on my face. I heard the thunder crack. For some reason I was ingoying the thunder and the rain. Who cares about how soggy your clothes are your getting a temperary shower. I know this sound much to weird for a normal kid to be doing homework in the rain and enjoying it, but that’s the kind of girl I am. That’s also why my name is Falon. My mother know there was something a little bit different about me the first day I was born. I stood on my feet after 24 hours alive. The nurse ran over to lay me back down but I just walked over to her. She was so astonished that I could walk at only one day old that she fainted. But that’s how I am. I learn quickly. You see I am only 13 and am in Colage getting a Doctorates degree in a month.”

RN wrote “Have you ever wanted to kiss a zombie? Now I know it’s a strange question, but ever since my friend convinced me too look up my facts on zombies I’ve been obsessed with them. Of the different kinds from shuffling, black & blue, crusty lipped, dark eyed human eater, to the stunningly attractive & flawless beauties that look very appealing to you, & yet your flesh is even more appealing to them. One story of an encounter w/a zombie especially caught my attention. The description of a young girl sharing her first kiss w/a zombie who hungered for her brains. In the end she became a zombie herself, forced to seducer her meals for all eternity. I want to kiss a zombie. I want to be a zombie. Ok maybe not, but it would still be cool to kiss a zombie.”

This little group of kids have a great imagination and will do great things in the future.

2 comments:

Fluffy Momma said...

BWAHAHA! I love these kids! Zombies...hehe

christine said...

wow, that second one was amazing! I would SO buy that book! She should finish it and make lots of money before she can even drive. :)