Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Graduation

Saturday was a really long long long day!! I have to admit though, I am super happy I walked. It took long enough to finish my degree that it was a pretty big deal for me. Honestly though, I think it was more important to my folks to see a kid walk. None of us walked when we finished our associates degree (at least I think none of my siblings walked, I know I did not) and I am the first one of their children to graduate with a bachelors. My brother-in-law has his degree, but I am the first of the Johnson family with one.

I wanted to share some pics, but since I was the one graduating I have none of them. I will share them as soon as my amazing sisters or Mom share them with me. However, Kate did take some pretty great pictures the night before, one of them is above. I cannot wait to see the rest of them, though. (Can I endorse her again? Of course I can it is my blog and she is family. If you need a great photographer, her info is on the right of my blog.)

One thing that is interesting to me is that before Saturday I was kind of embarrassed to share where I went to school. People would find out I was close to graduation and the first question they asked is if I went to the University of Utah. I would say in an apologetic tone, "Oh no, I went to the University of Phoenix." I honestly do not know why. I received an amazing education from UoP. I did all of my classes online and worked really hard to graduate with honors. I am really proud of that. On top of going to school full time I worked full time, worked part time at the studio, directed 3 shows, worked with the special needs mutual at church every week, and still managed to have time to spend with my family and friends. I could not have done that all at the UoU. So I say proudly "I am a Phoenix!"

I certainly could not have done it on my own. My family and friends were an amazing support to me. Beside the tireless encouragement from my folks (who hung my first report card on their fridge!), my sister proofread every paper I wrote in the first few years of my associates program (she majored in English when she went to school), my brother helped me pass my math classes (I think I could not have gotten the B's without him; I was never so proud of a B in my life!!), another brother cleaned our house on more than one occasion because I was buried in homework, and Besty even proofread a few papers for me too. I think that is why it was important for me to have my family there with me that day. We walked out in our procession and I knew where my family was sitting so I looked for them. Lucky for me I have a few really tall brothers so they were pretty easy to spot. When I found my family it all just hit me and I could not help but tear up. I am so not a crier normally but I could not help it. It was a pretty exciting day.

So thank you to everyone who ever encouraged me or helped during my degree program. I now am a proud college graduate with an Associates of Arts in Business, Bachelor of Science in Management, and Certificate in Human Resource Management. And I could not have done it without ... you!

5 comments:

jkribbit said...

Steph, you are amazing!! I am so proud of you!! And I love, love, love this picture of you. :)

Erica said...

That is one beautiful picture. :) Congrats on graduating!!!!!!!

christine said...

Congratulations!!!! You rock!! I also love this picture of you, it is so beautiful!!

Miss Megan said...

Congratulations, Steph! Graduating with a Bachelors degree is no small task, and you did it while juggling so many commitments. I am so proud of you! You are an inspiration to me (yes, it's cheesy, but also true)! I can't wait to see what you do next :-)

Trudy G. said...

That is just wonderful. Congratulations!