Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I have something to say ...

Spoiler alert: Socio-political rant

It has been a pretty big news week. First with the Royal Wedding (of course I watched it ... yes at 3 in the morning) and then with the assassination of ObL (his name need not be on my blog.) I have watched the news with interest at the reaction of the crowds at these two events. Interestingly the reactions have been pretty much the same: cheering in the streets. In my opinion only one of these events should have cheers accompany it.

I remember so very vividly watching the news after the 9/11 attacks and being saddened at the events. I was sad until I saw news footage of jihadists dancing and cheering in the streets at the mass devastation and destruction. When I saw people cheering for our loss and devastation I was IRATE! People were cheering at death. It was wrong.

Friday when I saw the crowds cheering for the Duke and Duchess I wished I had been there. (But to be fully honest I wish I had been the Duchess married to that handsome handsome Prince ... I digress) The reaction was completely appropriate. The circumstances warranted dancing in the street!

Sunday night I was watching a very different story; one about death. Let me make this point very very clear: I think justice was served with the assassination of ObL. I feel sure that were a peaceful option available that our military would have preferred that in lieu of killing someone. But even before President Obama verified the news reports announcing the death of ObL there were shots of people cheering in the streets at the White House and Proud Zero.

Someone is dead. More than one person, in fact. This is not cause for cheering or dancing in the street. ObL embodies evil and I do not mourn his loss on this earth. I think that he will be dealt with justly in the eternities and answer for the evil he committed/bought here on earth. However, someone is dead. Someone lost a father, husband, and child on Sunday. Cheering and dancing the streets is not only inappropriate at the news of death, it is gross. It is wrong. I think it is immoral. It makes me mad. I am disgusted with the images of these people cheering and dancing at death. I think it makes us no better than the jihadists who danced after 9/11.

I regret that these are the images being broadcast to the world. I do not think that these attitudes fully express the views of the general public in the USA on the death of ObL. It is a shame that people act this way, but more so that it is the public image being sent to the world. It is an ugly side of our country. That is what I have to say today.

6 comments:

Fluffy Momma said...

Amen sister. Amen.

Jill and Andy said...

Amen to all of it! I did watch the wedding, I was wishing I was the one standing there in the gorgeous dress becoming a duchess (not that Andy doesn't treat me like a queen...but I digress) and I'm still trying to think of a word for how I felt when I saw people cheering in NY on Sunday. I agree that it was totally inappropriate. Is tacky the right word? Maybe not strong enough. But regardless, that was just not the right thing to do.
On a lighter note, a friend of mine posted this quote on facebook on Monday: “I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." – Mark Twain
I love Twain and this made me smile. It was definitely a more appropriate way to express her opinion than the flat out cheers some people were posting.

This Place is a Disaster! said...

I heart u.

Sharon said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. I definitely agree.

miss kristen said...

Amen. All that does is add fuel to their retaliation. It made me sad to see the level we had stooped to. All the accounts I've read from the families of the people who lost loved ones on 9/11 weren't in a celebratory nature.
They were glad they finally have closure, but they were always quick to add his death won't bring their loved ones back.
In my opinion the reactions were all rather tacky. We didn't act this way when Hussein was assassinated or his boys were killed...

Peggy said...

Word.