Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Power of Music

I have been a little more aware of music the last few weeks (thanks Squitch for being on bed rest so I can teach MDT ... Nolan be nicer to mama!!) Music shapes my life. My life has a soundtrack and frankly it differs from one day to another. I have music for all of my moods. So last week when the speakers on my work computer went out I had a few days of panic. I had no music in my life during the day.

Music can affect me more than anything else. Take for example my guilty pleasure: Grey's Anatomy. I loves me some dark and twisty, some McDreamy and Steamy, and who can resist Sara Ramirez's smile? So when Grey's pulls off a musical event episode ... oh let's be honest some of the songs were just shamefully bad ... but mostly it was such a good episode. Speaking of Squitch, she and I watched the episode together and cried like little girls whose favorite dolly had just been decapitated. Grey's can make me cry faster than any other show, but add the characters singing and I am a goner. I have seen this episode now 5 times and cried each time. (I would say it is 90% that the show is moving and 10% I am still kind of sleep deprived from this last weekend of school.)

I am also reading a book that is centered around music ... you read that right ... I am reading a book for pleasure right now. So right now music is so central to my life. I was thinking about music last night and wondered if I had to make a list, a mixed tape if you will, about my life what would it be? What music would I include on my life's mixed tape? Right now you might be thinking I am going to give you my list, right? Well it is harder than it might sound. The only two songs I know would be on there for sure is 'For Good' from "Wicked" and 'The Little Drummer Boy' because it is a family favorite. The rest, well that is a little bit harder to narrow down.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm glad you would include something from Wicked! That is one I would suggest for you!

Jill and Andy said...

What book are you reading? It sounds interesting. I've never thought about making a mix tape of my life. I think I would have to do two different ones- one of music that describes my life, one of music I love the most. Or maybe they would be the same...?
If you ever decide what other songs would be on yours, post them! I'd love to hear what else would be on that tape!

Steph said...

The book is called Sing You Home by Jodi Jodi Picoult. If you have not read any of her work it is brilliant and always makes me think!! However I always am wary of suggesting her because her language and subject matter are pretty harsh sometimes. I would not, for example, suggest my mother ever read one of her books because she does not like the 'f' word. This book is a story of failed marriage, finding God, homosexuality, and fertility issues.

The ironic thing about my post is that shortly after I posted it I read a chapter in this book that talked about a soundtrack for our lives! I was hooked and could not put the book down until my eyelid just would not stay open any longer. I can't wait to see how it turns out, but Picoult is notorious for the surprise ending which always shock me. This time I want a nice happy ending!! :)

Preds Girl said...

I also cried like a little girl during Grey's Musical. It was AWESOME! I was making dinner while watching it and it took FOREVER to cook because I would get captivated by the screen and stop what I was doing in the kitchen..over and over.

I've also watched it lots on my computer and have listened to the song Sara sings at the end. I'm not sure how many times--I've lost track.

I LOVED IT!!!

PS ~ I also love "For Good" from Wicked. Such a GREAT song!

Caroline said...

I love music too! BTW= I have never seen Grey's Anatomy. Maybe I should get season 1?