Monday, April 25, 2011

My first gardening injury

I bought a house last year, a house I do not yet live in, but I did get the tax benefit of owning a home. This house that I will be living in by the end of this year is my Grandma's house. Currently living in the house are my wonderful Aunts who are looking for an apartment to live in. In the back yard Aunt Colleen has done a marvelous job of building a beautiful garden area. When I was growing up the garden was the place to be in the spring and summer. We all helped pull weeds and pick the veggies when it was time. I still to this day can picture so vividly sitting on the drive with Grams doing peas. The garden now is much smaller than it was in those days, and in a different location on the property. Well this weekend the rain and snow temporarily stopped and I was able to go out and get a start on this late garden.

So I am out in the garden tilling ... after I put the till together like an amazon woman ... and got my first injury from the till. Yes I still have all of my toes, it was not that kind of injury. The tiller hit the wood in the planter boxes and jumped back and jammed my thumb. I have a really pretty bruise on both sides of the thumb and can't quite bend it. After the tilling was done and I managed to rake the soil flat Aunt Colleen pronounced my efforts "not bad for a first timer!" I took it as a compliment considering I could not actually close my hand around the rake (injured!) Now if the rain and snow would actually stop I could plant all of those wonderful seeds I bought 3 weeks ago. Peas, corn, green beans (gross), potatoes, onions, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, squash, and cantaloupe. My biggest fear? Weeding the garden and mistaking weeds for the actual plant and pulling everything up. I did not say it was a rational fear!! :)

1 comment:

This Place is a Disaster! said...

DOn't wait for it to stop raining to plant peas. Get them in the ground ASAP!!!
Soak them tonight and plant them tomorrow!