Monday, April 18, 2011

The Dentist

Let me start this post by a confession that may contain too much information: I would rather visit my gynecologist than my dentist. No offense to Dr B, he is a fine dentist as was Dr S growing up. I just have never enjoyed going to the dentist even for a cleaning. Today I have my second appointment with Dr B in as many weeks. I had a cleaning two weeks ago and today I have to have two fillings replaced. Allow me to tell you what I hate most about visiting the dentist. One might think it would be the drill or shots ... alas no. I really really really dislike that sucker thing. Don't get me wrong I dislike the smell, I really dislike the drill sound, and I really really dislike the shots. But I really really really dislike the sucker. I think it is the most unnatural thing about the dentist. See that is 4 things to dislike during my visit today where as at the gynecologist I only ... just kidding I am not going to finish that sentence.

Growing up I was pretty good about brushing my teeth. I remember one visit to Dr S where my siblings walked out one at a time "Look Ma no cavities" (to be honest no one calls my Mom 'Ma' but you get the idea) and I walked out with 10 (you read that right) cavities. One would think I would have taken the lesson that it does not matter what I do to my teeth I am going to get cavities, but instead I walked away with a tooth cleaning neurosis. So when I am told I have a cavity or need to have a filling replaced I always remember that visit years ago when I walked out so sad because I worked so hard ... and I did not get a prize from the toy chest. At least when I was leaving Dr B's office two weeks ago they gave me some carrot seeds for my garden.

Okay so back to the sucker thing ... So here is the deal with the dentist sucker tool: It is not natural to not swallow. I do not want to swallow what the dentist cleans my teeth with, it just is not natural to not swallow and to have someone stick a tool in my mouth that "swallows" for me. Then they rinse my mouth and instead of letting me spit it out they put the sucker thing in my mouth and tell me to close my mouth around it ... shudder at the thought. Just gross and not natural. So there is a look into one of my many neuroses.

On a completely unrelated note yesterday was Sister's (or Sista's) birthday. When I went to bed last night everyone was still up playing a game and I truly truly hope you got to cheat at least once for your birthday!! The funny thing about this game set up last night was they were playing Five Crowns which is a card game while at the same time playing an interactive word game on their smart phone or iPods. That is multitasking fun!

2 comments:

Preds Girl said...

Um...I do NOT understand people like you, missy! Why, oh why, would you prefer to go to the gyno over the dentist? I have never understood that concept, but I used to be a dental assistant (insert horrible laugh, dun dun dun) and people said that to us all the time.

I. Do. Not. Get. It.

For the record...I prefer the dentist.

Jill and Andy said...

I would totally agree with you on this. I hate going to the dentist, and I've had to go twice in the past week (I broke a tooth!) and have to go again in a couple weeks. I would pick my gyn over the dentist any day! I dread going to the dentist, although the sucker isn't my least favorite part- pretty much all of it is my least favotite part :)
Good luck at the dentist!