Friday, May 14, 2010

Barcelona

After the pick pocketing incident I admit that Barcelona became “The City That Must Not Be Named” for a while. However, there are some things not to miss and I am glad I got to see them.

One of the most impressive sights in Barcelona is La Sagrada Familia (The Sacred Family). This is a massive church was started in 1882 and is not finished today. The scheduled completion date is 2026, the century anniversary of the death of Antoni Gaugi who was the chief architect. The church covers a full city block and is different on each side. In my opinion it is a must see in Barcelona.











Another of Gaudi’s impressive works is Park Guell. The park is beautiful, but the architecture found within the park itself is an amazing sight. This is one of the buildings in the park.



At night one of the fountains close to the 1992 Olympic village has a light and music show. It is impressive.


At the end of La Rambla, which is a street where there is much food and entertainment, the statue of Columbus is at the end. We stopped here for some Tapas and a much needed rest.

The next few shots are of some of the impressive architecture around Barcelona.




This is the Olympic Cauldron from the 92 Olympics.


While Barcelona had a rocky start for me, I did think that the sights we did see and enjoy the second day were amazing.

A few things to note about Barcelona: A lot of people smoke there and traffic laws are more like guidelines.

4 comments:

Johnson Family said...

Very impressive pictures Steph, who says I'm the only photographer in the family! :D

Tooele Brezoff said...

The photos are so nice, looks like you had a great time! I never knew you had a blog! duh on my part!

Hope things are going well!
Lori

Caroline said...

Holy Sagrada Familia! That is some church. I read the book "Pillars of the Earth" and it was about a Cathedral builder. This really brings it to life!

Rach said...

I love the fountain picture. Nice work! Barcelona sounds like China: A lot of people smoke there and traffic laws are more like guidelines.