Friday, November 20, 2009

A confession ... straight from my heart

This may come as a shock to some, but I am not a Twilight fan. Yes I did read all 4 books, yes I did see the first movie so I have a total grasp of the story and characters. No I will not see the second, third or fourth movies, no I am not on team Jacob, no I am not on team Edward, I do not drive like a Cullen, I think the name Renesmee was a really weak mash up of names, I do not go gaga over Bella’s brooding behavior, I preferred Cedric Diggory over Edward, yes I think Robert Pattinson needs a hair cut… oh I could go on and on. (Sister can I get a shout out for the nice alliteration there though?)

In short I am not a twihard… let’s face it, I am not even a twisoft. I saw a bit on the news this morning where a woman was so excited for this show she slept out in line for a week to be the first in the theater to see the show then she was so excited about it all she nearly fainted and almost missed the whole thing. Really? Like when the Beatles came to America? Have you not heard of assigned seating in the movie theaters now?

So you might be wondering why I read all 4 books if I am not a fan. I just kept hoping it would get better. I was actually angry during the entire read of book 4, and sorely disappointed with the anti-climactic ending. If I had a daughter in her teens I would not let her read this series. Sure there were good underlying messages: stay in school and do not have sex before you are married. However to not have sex before you are married because your vampire boyfriend is old fashioned is a little off the mark!

Yes I know it is fiction and there is no such thing as vampires who sparkle in the sun (as we all learned from Buffy real vampires turn to dust), but oh my Hannah Montana! I tell you what if people could be as excited about the inner workings of US Legislation as they get for fun things like Twilight and the aforementioned Hannah Montana craze… wait let me get a visual… people camping out for weeks before the passing of a new health care reform bill; getting so excited to vote in November that they almost faint. (ok that made me chuckle…)

I am just admitting for the entire world (or at least the tens of people who read this blog): I am not a fan of Twilight. Have I offended anyone with my take on it all and my admission? If there is a twihard out there who reads this blog, set me straight on what is so great about Twilight. But as for me, not so much.

Now when is the new Harry Potter movie coming out?! mmm... child... now that is a series.

10 comments:

Mandee Lue said...

I agree with a LOT of your opinions on this one... especially the get a haricut one... People are crazy and to really go nuts over this series... I agree with you wholeheartedly. I mean, REALLY?

I will admit... that I enjoyed the books more than the movies....

Christy said...

Just had this conversation at a Visiting teaching luncheon yesterday. The gasps, the shock, the jaws sitting on the floor when I confessed I have never read any of the books, nor will I ever. I have absolutely no interest in vampire stories. I think I have been shunned by my Relief Society sisters, but I shall get over it. You can't make me read them (or watch the movies!) :)

Colleen said...

That was some good alliteration there. I'm so proud, you're growing up so fast!

As for your opinions, I am with you there. When I read the first book, I thought it was pretty good. Except the part with the cold medicine to sleep - really? This is the message an LDS author wants to send to teens?

I barely made it through the 2nd book since I wanted to smack that girl and say get over it. Read the 3rd to see if it got better, and haven't had the desire to read the 4th or see the movie.

And my girls won't be reading them while they're young and influencable... Influenceable?... Infl... Supposeably? You get my drift.

Rach said...

I saw the movie yesterday (at a screening put on by Granite, Jordan, and Canyons school district, with discounted tickets) with my sisters. We went with the intention of mocking the movie, and mock we did. Not only the movie, but the audience, the gasping, the screaming, the t-shirts, the 40-year-old woman wearing an "Edward, please bite me" t-shirt, and just the whole spectacle of it all. I had a great time, and I think it was because I had no expectations.

I agree with everything you just said, except that, obviously, I saw the second movie (which was way better than the first), and will see the rest, just because it was so dang fun hanging out with my sisters mocking something that is so incredibly mockable.

Johnson Family said...

Me and Pat were totally talking about this today. Every one keeps saying the books are so good, but I guess I don't see the draw. I'm glad that there are other people that see this same way.

Trudy G. said...

Assigned seating in movie theatres? No, I've never heard of that. Here is my confession, I do like vampires shows, have never read any of the Twilight books, saw the first movie at home on On Demand. But then again, I'm old.

Unknown said...

I couldnt agree more with everything you said! I too read all 4 books, although I was practically forced to read the 4th one because everyone said that it would make up for how horrid the 2and and 3rd ones were. The first was pretty good for an easy read, but that is about it. I too am not going to let my young daughter read these as I think it sends a bad message especially since it is an LDS author who wrote it. And if we wanted to go deeper still I would have to say I am getting tired of historically bad characters becoming popular. i.e vampires, pirates, warewolves etc. Why is this? They used to be the bad guys and now they are the good guys? Anyhow, just sayin I am a disliker of all things twilight as well!

Preds Girl said...

I could not agree more! I haven't read the books...nor will I. Can't get into vampires at all. Totally do not get the whole craze over it. But, I have seen the movie and have plans to see the second...only because I want to be able to make fun of Bella...who bugs the crap out of me. lol.

Erica said...

I could not agree with you more. I read them as well, but has no desire to see the movie so you've got me there. I could not believe the kinds of things that were in there! No way would my daughter be allowed to read them until MUCH older. And, in my opinion, laying in bed together all cuddled up isn't exactly a good message to be sending out to teens either. Edward may have the willpower to keep his hands off her, but how many teenage boys will in that situation?

Anyway, I say "ditto."

Reba said...

Me either! I did read three of the books... due to all the hype about them, but did not bother with the last one nor the movies. I have read and enjoyed so many other books so much more!!