Monday, October 11, 2010

Single Mom Respect

My cute Sister and her family are currently on vacation with my folks. They have been planning it for weeks. What they did not plan on was the little one being sick. So Sister made a really hard decision to leave the little one home with some very loving family members. So Mac lived with me this weekend, she is at the Aunts this week, and I will have her again starting Friday. Come on, she is 1, she will not even know she missed sitting in your stroller all week while everyone else rides the rides and sees the fish. Some things I have learned as a single aunt this weekend:
  • Kid with ear infection likes to cuddle
  • Kid with ear infection does not like medication
  • Kid with ear infection does not sleep a normal schedule
  • Kid with ear infection has a little ADD, one moment she is fine and the next she is not
  • Kid with ear infection can scream
  • Kid with ear infection will only eat mashed potatoes (results not typical)
  • Single aunt got sleep deprived pretty easily because she is used to being pampered with a full 8 hours of sleep
  • Single aunt loves to cuddle little ones all day even if her dishes are not done
  • Single aunt loves it when other favorite married aunt comes to teach her how to give medication
  • Single aunt would not trade time with sick niece for anything, including sleep
I have a new respect for all parents now, I only had to do it for 2 days. I especially have respect for those parents who do it alone. This is what I learned this weekend.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

You're so great to do this for your cute sister: you're adorable and your niece is so lucky to have you!

Paige Moore said...

I have this goal to be focused on my to-do list while I'm at the computer. Nowhere on the said to-do list appears "find Stephanie's blog." But through the power of Facebook I did anyway. Hmmmm. Am I really focusing on my to-do list? Or am I just a super-overachiever? Anyway, YOU MAKE ME LAUGH! I am so glad that I know you! And ear infections are terrible. I've stayed up many a night rocking my boy. But I do love that when he's sick he lets me rock him. Kudos on your single-momhood weekend. "Check Stephanie's blog" is now a permanant fixture on my computer to-do list!

Miss Megan said...

I love the mental image of you cuddling your sweet niece. She loves you so much. I'm glad you get some extended one-on-one time with her :D And you're right about single parents. I have a couple of friends who are and I cannot believe how strong and unselfish they are.

Caroline said...

Great post! I appreciate your new found respect! I love the part about you being pampered with a full 8 hours of sleep. Man, those were the days...