Sunday, October 24, 2010

Happy Birthday Mum

I have not said this on my blog for some time. Just so we all do not forget:

CANCER SUCKS!!

Two years ago today, Mom had her stem cell transplant. So Happy 2nd Birthday Mom!! I guess if you have cancer it is only fair that you get two birthdays, right? I remember those sucky days so vividly. I remember the smell of (ugh) creamed corn, I disliked it before and now cannot even stand to be in the same room as it. (That is what it smells like when someone gets a stem cell transplant. I knew each day when I stepped off the elevator if it was someone's birthday.) I remember threatening to pull the plug on Mom if she did not get up and take a walk. I remember Mom not wanting to eat anything because it just did not taste right. I remember that nasty drink she had to have after eating anything to help with the sores in her mouth. I remember how tired she was. I remember Halloween in the hospital with the kids in their costumes and Mom wearing a nice Halloween scarf. I remember us all shaving out heads and how incredibly nervous I was about it. I remember being more tired than I have ever been in my life. But mostly I remember how incredibly brave Mom was. Even when her life sucked and the treatment sucked and the pain sucked, she was brave.

So again Happy Birthday Mom. Congrats on 2 years of remission. And just in case you have forgotten how awesome that year was for you...

Transplant Day, can you see your lemon candy?
Right after shaving our heads
Yup, that sums it up!
Here's to many more birthdays, both of them!

3 comments:

Rach said...

Happy birthday to your mom!!!

grandma glo said...

Oh how well I remember, well at least I think I do, you know it's the cansa! Thank you so much for being there for me. I really think you were the brave one, I remember being really scared. I love you.

Amy Maida Wadsworth said...

Happy Birthday!!! Many, many more!