Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Oscars ... in more detail



Above is the opening number from the Oscars as found on YouTube. Like I said, Hugh Jackman can do no wrong. Hugh is my man crush. Below is the BIG "Musicals are Back!" number that does not do it justice as it is small.



The other musical number was by Queen Latifah, who is just lovely. She sang a tribute number to those people in the business that had passed away last year. (Last year meaning from Oscar 2008 to Oscar 2009; people asked me why Heath Ledger was missing from this years tribute, he died before the last Oscars and was included last year.)

My other favorite part of this year's Oscars was that for the major acting awards they had 5 past winners present together. Past winners included Shirley MacLaine, Anthony Hopkins, Cuba Gooding Jr., Eva Marie Saint, Whoopi Goldberg, Robert DeNiro, Goldie Hawn, etc. I could go on and on. Each of these presenters took time to honor the person that was nominated. All I can say is that if I were Anne Hathaway and Shirley MacLaine was on stage talking about me and my talent I could die a happy person.

And how happy am I for Kate Winslet and Slumdog Millionaire? I love that Kate Winslet looks genuinely shocked to win awards ... plus I love her accent. The kids from Slumdog looked so happy each time their movie won an award that I wanted them to keep winning. I could have done without Sean Penn ... well ever. My heavens. Shame on anyone for having a political opinion that differs from Sean Penn. Maybe with your celebrity you can help build people up rather than tear them down for not thinking the same as you. But really that is a tirade of mine for another day.

Yup, pretty good Oscars. In fact I would say Best. Oscar. Show. Ever. It reminds me of when Billy Crystal used to host. Those where good times.

3 comments:

Rach said...

LOVE Hugh Jackman. Can't wait for Wolverine to hit the theaters!

Amy Maida Wadsworth said...

I agree! It was great fun! I could have used more Hugh, though.

jkribbit said...

I completely agree! What a great show. I absolutely loved the tributes to every actor who was nominated - what a special way to celebrate everyone. My only complaint was the nauseating camera work during the tribute to those who died this year. Swinging back and forth in front of the screen with their pictures? Really? But that was my only complaint - not bad. Not bad at all :)