Monday, July 16, 2012

Sucker for a Good Cause

Kids say and do the darnedest things!! I love that they are born good, and have to learn bad things. I do not love that they learn the bad things ... oh you know what I mean. So when a kid comes up with a good idea to earn money for something I am all in! I cannot pass a lemonade stand in the summer without stopping. I usually tip the kid and rarely drink the lemonade. When someone comes selling the cookies, or flags, or wrapping paper, I always make them tell me why they are raising the money, etc. Rarely do I let the parents tell me! If the kid wants my donation, the kid needs to ask me! If a kid wants to spend the money, I think they should earn it.

Well I am making this one time exception because the kid lives an hour north of me, and I do love his concept. My chum Peggy has this kid Jack who cracks me up! When Peggy and I would scrapbook Jack would tell me stories that had me in stitches. Jack came up with an idea, after reading a book in school, to raise money to donate to the local police department to get Kevlar jackets for the K9 unit. It is a summer long project for him, and Jack is selling sno-cones every Thursday to raise this money. Good idea, right? Take what he learned in school, apply it to his life, help his community directly. They live in Clinton and the local PD has Kevlar for their K9 units, but have vowed to used the funds to help their K9 Delta out with other things he needs. I love love this idea. And I am not even a pet person. Midvale has a K9 unit and our dog was shot in the line of duty a few years ago so this is a cause I believe in.

If you are interested in more information, and if you want to donate to help Jack with his cause, please visit my friend Peggy's blog and read about the story. She has added a donate button on her blog. They are asking for $1 in person. $0.50 for the cone and a $0.50 donation to the cause. Donations are accepted in any amount, though. He is about a third of the way to his goal for the summer. He wants to raise $300 for the dog and his officer owner who spends money out of his own pocket to get him what he needs. Small amounts sure do add up fast! Jack has raised $105 already $1 at a time. Sure if you donate over the net you do not get a sno-cone, but then the dog gets all of the money!

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Oh sweet muffin! Thank you for your donation and for the shout-out. Jack is so excited to be doing this, you just can't even know. Officer Glommen has promised Jack a playdate with Delta and wants him to present the money he raises in a city council meeting so he has some added incentives to rock this thing. I hope your friends from the Internets will pop over and donate a couple of quarters to my sweet boy's summer project. You are the very bestest!!

Larissa said...

Kristen blogged this too, right? $5 donated!