Sunday, July 15, 2012

Critics ... or ... a good review

There is a website in Utah that will arrange for a reviewer to come out and watch any production, of course based on availability, regardless of the theater status. As a community theater group we do not have the chance to have a review by a major publication otherwise. It honestly is just not feasible to have major publications come do that for all of the local community groups. So Utah Theater Bloggers steps in to fill that void. I have been reviewed, or have had a show reviewed by them, three times. I always get sick to my stomach nervous knowing that they are coming. I do not know why I get so nervous, they have never been uber critical of the work that I have been involved in. In general these reviewers get it right! I appreciate their honesty from a patron standpoint, as a producer I get nervous only  because I would hate to get a bad review for the organization or the actors. But hey, that is life in the theater!

Well the latest review is out for our show The Marvelous Wonderettes. Here is the scenario of getting this review:

I knew the reviewer was coming Friday night. We set aside tickets for him, and were starting to set up when a HUGE wind storm hits the Salt Lake Valley. We perform outside, and we were in trouble!! The Council made a quick judgement call and decided to move the show inside. There is a small stage in the bowery in the park behind our big stage. We moved as quickly as we could, the reviewer showed up just in time to see the backstage drama of it all. We did not do our mic check before the house opened because we just did not have time. The bowery is a metal building with an echo. I was mortified by what was about to ensue. I need not have worried. The cast and crew rolled with the punches, of course they did, and the show was amazing. If anything they performed it better than I have ever seen it. The crowd was engaged, the setting was more intimate, and sound even worked.

The reviewer came up to me after the show to thank me for the ticket and tell me he thought the review would be out by the end of the weekend. We got mad props for not cancelling the show because of weather. With a bigger show we would have had to. Thanks heavens for the small show!!

The review came out tonight. We went out to eat after the show, because it is a law in Utah I guess ... to go out after a show with the cast. Pretty much everyone had gone and Mel got a text that the review was out. I was filled with an instant anxiety and thrill of anticipation. In short, I was sick!! She read out loud the review. What did we ever do before smart phones? And the review was good!! The reviewer treated our show with so much respect, and my actors with praise, that I almost cried right then and there in Chili's. And exhale!

It is a good show. It is a smaller show than we normally have during the summer, outside musicals usually have a LARGE cast. So our ticket sales are lower than normal, we do not have the adoring grandparents coming to see their grandkids. But it is a good show. Check out the review, if you are so inclined, then get your  buns out to see this show! What are you waiting for? A sign? Richie give them a sign!!

No comments: