Thursday, July 12, 2012

Be Marvelous!

L-O-V-E that spells LOVE! I just posted as my fb status update that I could not love my cast and crew any more than I already do. I have had a ball working with a small cast and crew this time around. 4 actors, 9 crew, heaven! The pic below pretty much sums up how I feel, and I wish I were behind them with my arms around them too ... cheese!
l-r Paige, Megan, Melody, Kristen photo taken by Kate Johnson
The Marvelous Wonderettes is a show about 4 friends in high school and then their 10 year reunion. The women playing these 4 friends just happen to be great friends of mine. I say, as the producer, that I was not intimately involved in the casting decision. I supported the director in casting but I did not say "Cast my 4 friends!" especially since 6 of my friends auditioned ... turning down 2 friends was not my favorite thing ever! Blog for another day. Well these 4 friends of mine are women I respect and love. Working with them has been a treat for me.

In the play they say "Be Marvelous" more than once usually after a character has done something petty or less than marvelous. Well let me tell you, these actors have been marvelous to work with. I would work with them again and again. This is BJ's first show. We have worked every vocal bone in her body! I am so pleased with how willing she is to work as hard as she can to make this the best experience for her. S and I have worked on 2 shows together. She has a dry humor that lightens pretty much any mood. She has really had to step out of her comfort area for this role and I admire her for it. CL and I have been chums for years and years! I think this is our 5th show together. Her voice is soulful and sweet at the same time. She makes me laugh with her facial expressions on and off stage! M has a voice like an angel! I have missed sound cues because I have been mesmerized by her vocal range. I am uber jealous that my high note is basically her low! I cannot wait to work with her in the future Together these actors blend and harmonize into one cohesive unit on stage. It has been my pleasure to sit and watch these masters at work. 

I love, adore, respect, and am in awe of their courage, devotion, talent, and friendship. There is a camaraderie that exists between actors that is different than it is between the producer and actor. They literally have spent the last 6 weeks together pretty much nightly. I have not had that and am jealous of it! I miss being on stage with fellow actors and the bond that that creates. When you are on stage together you have to have the ultimate trust in one another.

I love love love these girls! These are my girls! They are my family away from family. (Yes my family is close, but you know what I mean!) I would do almost anything for them ... I stop short of illegal acts! I threatened a gang member because they tagged the "house" that "my family" plays in every night which in hindsight was not a good thing. But they messed with my family. Nobody messes with my people.

With that said, come see my family and support my girls as they perform their guts out! Yesterday it was 102 when we started the show. They give it everything they have up on a hot concrete stage every day. They amaze me. The show opens tomorrow and runs nightly except Sunday until the 21st. Visit this link for all information or to buy tickets.

2 comments:

Larissa said...

1. I am an unoffical cast member because my baton performs on stage every night. SO this means I am included in this love.
2. I am coming tonight and bringing some folks - can't wait!!!

Anonymous said...

That is so nice!!! :) we love you! - Mel