Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The One Where She Got Unlimited Popsicles

Mom had a good first day over all. Pleasant? Not so much, but not the worst day ever in her cancer treatment. We had to be there at 7:00. Mom and Dad got there earlier than I did and by the time I got there she was already back being prepped for surgery. They installed a central line in her right chest. This will be used for most of her treatments. She has an IV in one port, another port they use to take blood daily, and the last port is used for chemo and her transplant. It is kind of gross to look at day one, until she can take a shower and wash everything off. This took longer than we expected because they did not start her line until almost 9, but we did not know that. Imagine sitting for 3 hours waiting for news on the simplest procedure she will go through and thinking the worst because there is no news. No news is not always good news! :)

While she was in there, I went up to set up her room; got her all unpacked so she did not have to do it later. She took some cute pictures of her grand-babies and a scrapbook with all of her family with her, so I had those set up along with her quilt when she arrived.

She got up to her room around 11:30, got dressed, filled me in on the details (because they do not put you to sleep for that procedure; the idea makes my toes curl!!!) She was tired, and I had to get to work, so once she was settled and knew she could order some lunch I left. Dad stuck around for a while. After lunch they gave her her first round of chemo. They do it a little different than last time. They made her suck on ice chips the first 20 minutes, then gave her chemo which took 20 minutes; during this time she got to suck on Popsicles the whole time, followed by 20 minutes of ice chips again. They have found that if they do this while getting their chemo there is a lower chance of getting mouth, throat, and stomach sores later. At least they have found that when the sores do come, they are not as bad.

After this she took a nice long nap, waking up around 6 to order dinner. I went up with a few things she needed around this time. One of my old mission ... well we were not companions, but I do not know what else to call her ... has a company called Happy Chemo to help people when going through cancer treatment. Ginger came up to meet Mom, sang her a song, and took off to meet some other patients. Mom, Dad and I took a walk after that (she has to take 3 a day) and then I took off. When I left they were going to look at her line because it seems to be bleeding more than it should be, but it was not a huge concern.

She gets her second round of Popsicles today ... during another heinous round of chemo.

I am tired, I went to bed early last night after doing some much needed dishes. I fully admit to taking a sleeping pill and slept all night! And through my first alarm. Oops, but I still made it on time for my early morning meeting today. Yesterday was not such a bad day considering.

1 comment:

Your Mom said...

Well that just sucks.