Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Helping Hand

Many of you will be in similar economic situations as I am and cannot do much to help in times of disaster such as the nation of Haiti is facing now. I did read on the White House website of a way I know I can help and wanted to pass it on for anyone who might be interested in such help as well. The link above will take you to the official White House website where there is a short video from President Obama with information on the USA effort to help and a few links to donate. The easiest way I found there was to text HAITI to 90999 where a $10 charge will appear on my cell phone bill. I decided to try this since it was suggested on www.whitehouse.gov. I received a text back asking me to confirm my donation by replying 'yes', and then a text telling me what to expect on my phone bill ($10 charge to your phone for Red Cross Int'l Relief.) Then one more text telling me if I wanted to receive more texts to reply 'yes'. Standard text message fees apply, but since I have a data plan I am not charged to send or receive texts. I felt a $10 contribution is something I know I can afford, and while it might not seem like much I believe that the small efforts of many add up fairly fast. Since the idea was on a verified government website I felt safe in donating in such a manner.

No comments: