Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Taking Action

Followers to this blog know that Mom has cancer. They also should know by now that Cancer Sucks! My family decided to help raise funds for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation by joining the marathon team to run in the Vegas marathon on December 1, 2013. Each runner has a goal to reach of $1,500 by then. That is $125 a month that I need to raise.

In order to help with this they have set me up a fundraising website. I now, unashamedly, solicit help from my friends, family, and random blog stalkers to accomplish this goal. Little bits add up, big amounts are always welcome.

Mom getting her second stem cell transplant Jan 2012
Would you visit: My Donation Site and learn more about my efforts and, if able, make a donation to help me with my goal? I also appreciate any help you can by passing on this information to your contacts. The fact of the matter is that multiple myeloma has no cure. With some cancers, like skin or breast when caught early,  the cancer patient will have surgery, chemo, and/or radiation and can be cured. With multiple myeloma the patient can be treated but it is incurable. To me that is just unacceptable and devastating. This means that I will, more than likely, lose my mother to cancer. This cancer is in the blood, so it is throughout her body. Her bones are brittle and break easily. She is 5 inches shorter than she used to be. She walks hunched over. While the money we raise now probably will not save her life, I hope that it can save the lives of numerous people who are diagnosed with this cancer in the future. Please join me in raising this money.

In other news, I now have to get ready to run a half marathon in 12 months. Challenge accepted!

No comments: