Monday, June 4, 2012

FAQ: Theater

I am asked often about being a producer and director for theater and what I like more and what is my least favorite part. So here is a list of my FAQ about theater ...

Which do you like more: Directing or Producing?
I prefer directing a show. However, my job on the Arts Council is to produce. There are some changes coming to the Midvale Arts Council which will make me officially in charge of all productions. I.E. I get to choose what show we do, hire all of the staff, and help cast the show. I am not prevented from directing under these new rules, but it is hard to do both. I will be training some people to help me produce (they have to sit on the Arts Council to do this) so that I can direct as well.

What is the difference between directing and producing a community show?
The producer chooses the show that the council performs. The producer then is in charge of all of the budget and funds. As the producer I hire the staff, I pay the royalties for the show, I have to arrange musicians or recordings for musicals, I pay all of the bills along with the City reimbursing me, I oversee auditions and make sure that the show is cast right, in addition I have to make sure that the audition notices are sent out. During the rehearsals I drop in from time to time to make sure that the interests of the council are met and that it is still a (fairly) family friendly show. I take care of the program and advertising for the run of the show. During performances I make sure that the ticket sales are tracked and deposit the income from the sales.

As the director I get to let my artistic mind run wild. So I admit that I can usually read a script and see the staging come together in my mind. It is certainly fun to see that vision become a reality. The director gets to cast the show, with help from the producer, and gets to play every day with the actors. As the director I get to design the set and costume ideas that work with the vision of the show. I am a pretty laid back director where I let the actors come up with their character, then I step in with ideas of how to build their performance. I also let the actors do what feels natural to their character in regard to blocking. I step in with help in blocking when something just does not look right on stage. I think it is much more fun to direct because it is like moving chess pieces around the stage to win an imaginary game I play with myself.

What is the hardest part about doing theater?
Easy! The hardest part about doing theater in the South Valley of Salt Lake is that I am friends with MANY of the people who audition for me. It is hard to have to turn my friends away from shows. I have had to do it often, and it never gets easy. Never. This past Saturday I had to turn away 2 friends from a show that we had auditions for; they are both super talented, and I have worked with them on multiple times. The community of theater here is small. I have been blessed to work with so many talented people. I hate turning friends away from being cast. I always worry that people will take it personally and that it will affect our friendship. I have been turned down by friend I have auditioned for. In fact I was not cast in a show where there are only 2 women parts. 2 women auditioned for the show so I thought I was a sure thing. Not so much. They went out looking for another person to do the role. It was very hurtful at first, then I remembered that the director has the whole picture of what he or she is looking for and I did not fit in that vision. So I remembered to be gracious to him for not casting me because I have had to be that person and want people to treat my decision with the respect that friendship dictates.

What is the worst part about doing theater?
The drama. I do not mean in the script. I hate the drama that some actors will bring to rehearsal or performances. There is enough drama on stage, leave the crap home! I like to come to rehearsal or performance ready to leave all of my personal crap at home and become someone new on stage.

What is your favorite show you have ever done?
This is a hard question to answer because I have worked with so many GREAT people and amazing scripts. I admit I like to direct plays more than musicals; I also like smaller shows than the bigger ones. That being said I think my favorite show I directed was Cash on Delivery in 2001 because it was my first. My favorite musical was Nunsense in 2004 because the cast was small and easy to direct. I loved working with the cast and crew of Birdie and Seuss in 2008 and 2009 respectively because the kids in those shows worked pretty well with the adults.

What is the best part about doing theater?
I love seeing someone who normally would not shine as an actor make an impression on me. I have seen little kids come into their own as a force to be reckoned with on stage. I love playing pretend when I am on stage, and it is fun to see someone else do it as the director. I love working with volunteers in community theater because they want to be there and they put their whole soul into their part. I saw this happen with Seussical. I had actors dressed up as cats, birds, elephants, kangaroos, etc. I remember one girl dressed as a bird who owned the stage when she was on it because she owned her super sexy character. The other bird had to tow around an outrageous number of tail feather and would whip that tail around for the audience to see and you could tell she was proud of her work. I loved also in that show when the Cat would do little things to the other actors while they were performing (with permission) like spray the elephant with water during a rain storm. Often times the funnies things in the show are adlibed by the actors during rehearsal and I keep in the show.

Do you have a favorite person to work with?
Yes.

Are there people you will never work with again?
Absolutely.

Will you tell me who?
Um ... no. But thanks for asking!

Why don't you perform on stage more often?
Oh that is easy! I like to boss others around. But stay tuned because there is a dream role coming up and I hope to play the part!

Is there anything I can do to ensure getting cast?
Really no. However if you have talent, a pure desire for a part, and are willing to play any part it can go better for you. People who are only willing to play a certain part, ie a lead, might not get cast in the show at all. If you are willing to do any role offered I, as a director, am more likely to give you a shot. I honestly think that even really talented people who have played leads in the past should take a part in the chorus from time to time just to really appreciate the leads when they get them. I also think that not assuming you will get a part will make you fight for it more!

Are you a fan of people pulling pranks on stage or inserting lines?
That depends on the show. Usually I am not a fan at all. I do not think it is fair for the other actors and sometimes it is in the contract we sign that the council could be in trouble if caught. But I certainly think there are shows where it is appropriate depending on the reason. I.E. if there is some sort of technical issue and the actor needs to explain away an issue. An example is when we did Pirates years ago there was a HUGE skip in the cd one night. So an entire song was skipped. One actor quickly summarized the finer points in the song that were important for the plot and moved on. But doing it just to break another actor's concentration or character is not appropriate. The audience that comes closing night deserve the same show as those who came the rest of the time. They pay the same price for the ticket, they deserve the same show.  I do like having fun, do not get me wrong, but that is what the cast party is for.

So, that is it. That is all I have the time or energy to write about that. These are just the ones I am asked most frequently. Since I have not been a regular on my blog, I thought it would be an interesting topic ... at least for me!

No comments: