Tuesday, December 27, 2011

'Tis the Season ... to do battle?

Fa La La La La

Christmas is a time for family togetherness. To share in the cheer and merriment of the glitter and the spirit. Most holidays are. Unless you are a Johnson. If you are a Johnson (as in my family, not necessarily applicable to other Johnson clans) you food battle. We might be too big of fans of the Food Network. For Thanksgiving Sister and Brother challenged each other in Battle Pie. They each made one pumpkin and one 'other' pie. If I remember right Sister won battle other and Brother won battle pumpkin. I could have that backwards.

For Christmas we had Battle Soup. Sister, Little Brother, and I all made a different soup. Sister made a root veggie soup (rather tasty), Little Brother made a gumbo (never had gumbo before, loved the shrimp!!) and I made a homemade cream of tomato (which I had previously experimented on a friend and got a stamp of approval on.) It all came down to one vote between the three. I won with 4 votes, then Sister with 3, then Little Brother with 2. Some people did not vote (chickens) because they did not want to make one of us feel bad. I think that I would have been in trouble if they did vote, frankly!

I cannot wait until Martin Luther King, Jr. Day to see what battle will commence then! kidding

The reason this one meant so much to me is because soup is something I can do and do well. Usually Sister and Brother are far better cooks than I, until it comes to soup, and Little Brother rocks the appetizers; Big Brother usually does not battle with us. However, there was this one batch of soup ... I do not want to talk about it. It was bad. Let us just say that when it went up against Sister's batch she won hands down. So Sister has been the current reigning champion of soups. I wanted the title back! I wanted it back bad! So admittedly I played it safe with my soup choice. The others really win points for creativity ... I mean gumbo and root veggies?! Come on! Good show! I just knew that tomato is something most of my family likes so I played it safe. And I won ... Battle Soup Winner in the house!

No comments: