Wednesday, March 4, 2009

#96 (1/4) - Audition for a play or musical

The last show I aduitioned for was in 2004, The Music Man. I am fairly certain that I got the part based on the fact that I was the oldest woman who auditioned. Slap a little make-up on me and BAM you get Eulalie MacKecknie Shinn. Last night I auditioned for The Odd Couple in Midvale and was more nervous than I probably should have been; but regardless, I was nervous. I have been tucked safely behind the ProTeam table for so long that I had forgotten what it was like on the other side. Besty found some funny monologues for me and I memorized one yesterday (not a good idea) and performed it about 5 times for my mom before I went over. It is fair at this point to mention a few things: 1) I have a cold and by the grace of DayQuil I could even stand 2) I was auditioning for REALLY good friends of mine who I knew would make me feel comfortable 3) It went much better than I thought it would and I only forgot one word in the audition piece (Cordilia.) I have not heard if I got a part or not, but frankly I just needed the experience of auditioning. It would be great to be back up on stage again and be someone else for a little while, so fingers crosssed.

8 comments:

Miss Megan said...

Fun! Good luck, my friend. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. It would be awesome to see you perform!

Mateo said...

I didn't know you were an actress? I was in the Music Man just last year as Harold...what fun!

Let us know where and when you'll be performing, cuz I'd come and see the show!!!

Break a leg.

Matt said...

Hey - good luck! I'm sure you knocked 'em dead.

Where do you find random monologues?

Erica said...

Good luck!!!!

I auditioned once when I was sick. A fever of at least 101, yet there I was. The voice audition went really well but then I found out that they wanted EVERYONE to do a dance audition at the local high school after the fact as well.

I went and was THIS *insert fingers touching* close to just walking out when I saw all those girls (and even guys) in dance clothes and stretching out. I had no idea what the show I was auditioning for was all about. I'd heard of Aida before but didn't know it was such a big dancing show. Let along African type dancing. I felt horrible with that high of a fever and had to get up on that stage and do some strange moves that only those that had been dancing since they were 3 could do. I know I looked like I complete fool up there.

THEN I find out that the director (who up to that point was just a name to me) is someone that remembers EVERYONE from every random audition he's ever held. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. Needless to say I didn't get in. Nor have I auditioned for him again. :^)

Tiffanie said...

I'm so proud of you! Good job! You are such a talented woman, and I admire you for that... so don't hide your talents or bury them, SHINE WOMAN SHINE! Wow, I just really got cheesy there, but truly, break a leg and I know you'll be awesome!

Tiffanie said...

sorry, one more thing... I was Maude Dunlop... I know, I know, who the crap is she? ANYwho, I'm so very random today just smack me! Oh yeah, and I auditioned sick once before, and sucked up a storm so I became their makeup artist instead and that is when I fell in love with Nathan Detroit while applying his eyeliner, and 10 years later, we're still inlove. So you see? There you go... really, you can smack me, it is too much of a Wednesday for my brain to be functioning.

Mandee Lue said...

All this talk about auditioning stuff makes me a little weary. I hope you kick some butt, and I know with your amazing ability to make people laugh, you'll be a shoo-in. Good luck!

Mother of Four said...

Good luck! I'm sure you were perfect!